Prescription riding glasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ask your optician, they normally have a range of sports glasses. I bought a pair off ebay which have a glazed insert behind normal cycling glasses and they were very good and they were not too expensive (about £120 including glazing them).
There are also places like http://www.rxsport.co.uk/ that have very good reviews, although they are more expensive.

vickster

Legendary Member
I just got some Transition Oakleys from rxsport, excellent service and about £80 cheaper than getting from Boots (I got £50 off as they had an Oakley promotion but still around £265). I didn't want inserts, and wanted transitions hence the cost

Optilabs if you want the cheaper insert style (although their range is rather limited and I personally found the styles ugly when I went to their 'showroom' in Croydon)

BrynCP

Über Member
My small, independent optician offered to do me some; from what I could gather they would just outsource to some of those mentioned above, but provide the full prescription (instead of just that legally required) and fitting - obviously at a mark-up to what it would cost direct.

vickster

Legendary Member
What's a full prescription? I gave RxSport all of the information from my 'normal' prescription, including prism (and PD which had been measured elsewhere)

Oakleys only come in one frame size (at least for the model I used)

I think Oakley have a limited range of outlets that they sell their full ODT Rx line through (Rx sport will just make less margin than Boots - Oakley make them for Boots, I don't think Boots make them in house)

BrynCP

Über Member
What's a full prescription? I gave RxSport all of the information from my 'normal' prescription, including prism (and PD which had been measured elsewhere)

I was mainly referring to PD. Depends on optician, but this is usually done as part of the dispensing and so won't appear on the prescription. Full Prescription is probably the wrong terminology, I just mean they'll pass on all the details. I am not saying anybody should go down this route purely for that, my independent optician costs an arm and a leg! You can get PD measured elsewhere I am sure!

winjim

Smash the cistern
Rudy Projects with prescription inserts for me, courtesy of the fine folk at Rxsport. Not cheap, but hopefully the frames will last long enough that when my prescription changes I can just get new inserts, and they have interchangeable lenses so I can swap them according to the light conditions.

vickster

Legendary Member
I was mainly referring to PD. Depends on optician, but this is usually done as part of the dispensing and so won't appear on the prescription. Full Prescription is probably the wrong terminology, I just mean they'll pass on all the details. I am not saying anybody should go down this route purely for that, my independent optician costs an arm and a leg! You can get PD measured elsewhere I am sure!
I had my PD measured previously when I was looking at cycling glasses

I didn't like the inserts, made me feel weirdly claustrophobic having something that close to my eyes / face!

Top Bottom