prescription sunglasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glen101

i'm going to treat myself to a pair of prescription sports wraparound glasses, but would like some advice on choice of lens:

the optician i went to stocked adidas sports frames. i chose the ones i liked, but i have a choice of lenses, basically with or without optical inserts:

choice 1) is without the inserts, the lenses are tinted and made to my prescription. so they look like a "normal" off the shelf pair of sunglasses

choice 2) is with inserts, which i had not seen before. it is the same frame, but an insert which is made to my prescription clips inside the frame. the lenses of the main frames are interchangeable so different colour tints can be put in

the optician recommended the inserts (which were cheaper), saying they are more versatile and that with option 1 vision when looking to the side would be slightly blurred as the you do not get the prescription all the way round the wraparound lenses

does anybody have these inserts? and what are they like to wear?
do you see the sides of the insert ? and can others see the insert from the front if you have light lenses in the frames?

the optician is getting some of the inserts in next week for me to go back and see and try them, but any advice from people who use either of the above would be appreciated

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Have you had a look here -> http://www.optilabs....?pfid=0,8,11,17

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
If you are looking at Adidas glasses with inserts, then i guess you are looking at the evil eye pro. Thats what i use and i have optical inserts.

Upside:
everything pops out, so if one thing brakes it should be cheap to replace.
being able to switch the lenses
being able to update your prescription lens separately.

Downside:
depending on the lens in place, it is possible to see the inserts behind, some inserts look better than others. Mind are rounded and do look weird.
Your peripheral vision won't be as good as if you get the whole lens as a prescription. this can be a downside if you can't turn properly. but compared to normal glasses it's slightly better.

OP
OP
G

glen101

If you are looking at Adidas glasses with inserts, then i guess you are looking at the evil eye pro. Thats what i use and i have optical inserts.

Upside:
everything pops out, so if one thing brakes it should be cheap to replace.
being able to switch the lenses
being able to update your prescription lens separately.

Downside:
depending on the lens in place, it is possible to see the inserts behind, some inserts look better than others. Mind are rounded and do look weird.
Your peripheral vision won't be as good as if you get the whole lens as a prescription. this can be a downside if you can't turn properly. but compared to normal glasses it's slightly better.

thanks for your help. i've done a bit of reading up in the last hour. you're confirming what most websites say. as a vane so and so i'm probably leaning towards the direct glaze as opposed to the inserts. i'll wait and try them with the inserts next week. the frames are adivista

http://www.extreme-eyewear.co.uk/eyewear/adidas_sunglasses/adivista_a164_and_a165/view/154/

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
thanks for your help. i've done a bit of reading up in the last hour. you're confirming what most websites say. as a vane so and so i'm probably leaning towards the direct glaze as opposed to the inserts. i'll wait and try them with the inserts next week. the frames are adivista

http://www.extreme-e..._a165/view/154/

I went for Windrams. They were £100 including the inserts. 3 choices of coloured lens grey, yellow and clear and extra nose pieces. 2 to match colour of frame and 2 semi transparent. 1 of each has the magnetic bits to hold the inserts or you can use them as normal sunglasses. They do look a little odd with clear lens in but when used at night you'd not see inserts.
I went for these for the possibility of changing insert if my prescription changes.

Top Bottom