Press fit BBs. The work of the devil or the best thing since sliced bread?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
To my mind they're an answer to a question no one had been asking.

CXRAndy

Guru
Every bike that I had with a pressfit BB, I swapped out for a threaded adaptor type replacement.

I think that explains my opinion.

Hambini sells pressfit sleave adaptors, to replace most versions of original pressfit. The theory was not bad, just sloppy manufacturing standards, destroyed the idea. Hence the plethora of replacement sleave adaptors

Adam4868

Guru
At least five years and not a peep out of mine,rode in all weathers aswell.Now the discs that's another matter !
I'll ride it until it goes,same as the threaded ony other bike.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I'm generally a lover of all modern tech, 1x drivetrains, Hydraulic discs, Tubeless, however I'm not a big fan of the idea of press fit at all. In fact when purchasing my mountain bike last year, one of the big factors that pushed me towards the Sonder was the fact it had a traditional threaded BB shell.

Having said all that, it is a tad hypocritical of me because I've never actually owned a bike with a Press Fit BB, I just really don't like the idea of them and the extra faff of trying to change one.

Jameshow

Veteran
I've got two press fit bikes and never had a problem with either.

Changing the bearings imho are easier than sq BB.

On a commuter bike sq BB would give better shielding tbh. Esp un55.

Bb30 are basically sealed cartridge bearing with a wave washer for protection.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I've got two press fit bikes and never had a problem with either.

Changing the bearings imho are easier than sq BB.

On a commuter bike sq BB would give better shielding tbh. Esp un55.

Bb30 are basically sealed cartridge bearing with a wave washer for protection.

the wavy washer is a preload washer to stop over compression of the bearings , i doubt it would stop much stuff getting in ? on my PF30 jobbie the wavy washer can be seen touching the crank arm and the bearings outer but isnt compressed enough to stop ingress

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Bit of discussion here on a threaded BB in a carbon frame:

View: https://youtu.be/1r9VkVvTZ7k

Alex321

Veteran
My Boardman hybrid had threaded bottom bracket, and went through them about every 1500 miles.

My Cube has a press fit, and I (or rather my LBS) replaced the original one a few weeks ago, at 6,300 miles.

Yes, it is more hassle to replace - I took it to my LBS for that. But if it lasts 4 times as long, I can live with that. I never really noticed any creaking.

ukbabz

Über Member
I can't complain about the BB86 on my Giant TCR, but then again I've had it for nearly 10,000 miles without an issue or signs of wear.

The SRAM DUB pressfit on my MTB however, is an utter pig and lasts about 500miles of UK riding...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My Boardman hybrid had threaded bottom bracket, and went through them about every 1500 miles.

My Cube has a press fit, and I (or rather my LBS) replaced the original one a few weeks ago, at 6,300 miles.

Yes, it is more hassle to replace - I took it to my LBS for that. But if it lasts 4 times as long, I can live with that. I never really noticed any creaking.

the boardman BB wasnt an fsa powerdrive by any chance ?i find they do wear out very quickly

figbat

Slippery scientist
I can't complain about the BB86 on my Giant TCR, but then again I've had it for nearly 10,000 miles without an issue or signs of wear.

The SRAM DUB pressfit on my MTB however, is an utter pig and lasts about 500miles of UK riding...

That may not be a pressfit thing though. I had to put two DUB BBs on my MTB in about a month. The SRAM DUB setup is not great although a Nukeproof BB instead of a SRAM one has been better for me.

Top Bottom