Pressing 'send' and regretting it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
when I worked in the city , the PA to a director sent out an email on behalf of her boss, I cant even remember the content now, but one girl in the office (who obviously didn't like the PA) tried to send an email to her friend basically slating the PA saying "she's only a PA who does she think she is" etc etc, but she managed to reply to all who were on the original email list !!!! last we saw of her she was being led into a meeting room !

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Intended humorous remarks about killing vegans have backfired on a food magazine editor.

William Sitwell has quit after his email was published by the recipient - a freelance looking for work.

As a journalist he ought to know better, but the recipient has done him no favours by publishing what was a notionally private exchange between them.

I sometimes receive emails from colleagues with content I wouldn't commit to paper - swear words, and on one occasion, a dirty joke.

Different rules could apply outside of a work setting, but I wouldn't send that sort of stuff in any context.

Have you ever pressed 'send' and lived to regret it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46042314
Oh yes .... and I got a bit of a telling off. I wrote a rather critical review of the head honcho's latest email missive, meaning to send only to my closest colleagues ... but I accidentally 'replied to all' who work there ... there are hundreds and hundreds of people. I accepted my telling off gracefully, and no more was said about it :smile:

DRHysted

Guru
Not my fault but dealing with an issue about how my firm had dealt with the site I’m contracted to. The customer replied to my email with a bit for my firm and like an idiot included my original email!
I do believe that the firm I work for may know I’ve gone native.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I once accidentally CC'd an email that had a minor insult about the unintended cc'd recipient. I learnt fast never to put anything in an email that I would not say out loud.
This. I used to work in a few underfunded university departments. Back then, well before current laws, email addresses were regarded as the university's property (rather than personal communication as they now rightly are) so there was no telling who would see your email - I strongly suspect that certain email addresses were effectively "tapped".

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I think its good advice not to put anything in an email that you couldnt live with if it got out.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Once an email gone it is out of your control. Don't put anything that in the wrong audiences hands will ruin your day.

tyred

Legendary Member
A colleague had been dealing with a high level complaint from a difficult customer. There had been lots of emails back and forth between them, except on this occasion she copied in the CEO of the organisation.

The CEO emailed the colleague asking for a rundown on the issues which he provided. However, on one of the points he answered "not a scooby doo what she's on about, think she's a bit doo lally". But, he sent the email to the customer and not the CEO.

I had a similar situation in my previous job which started with a moaning email from a customer who could never be appeased no matter what but we always tried to keep happy as he put a lot of work our way and was also the brother-in-law of the owner of the company I worked for. My boss hated him too.

On this occasion, the complaint email had been sent to our service email address which everyone in the company could read and my boss emailed me not to reply and he would phone him and talk in person as he was a contrary $%££"$& and that he couldn't stand him and was angry with his wife for accepting an invite to dinner as an evening in his brother-in-law's company was about as much fun as sticking pins in his eyes. The only problem was that he hadn't sent the email to me - he'd sent it as a reply to the original message....took a little smoothing over....

steverob

Guru
Once an email gone it is out of your control. Don't put anything that in the wrong audiences hands will ruin your day.
Yeah, I know that from painful experience! Years ago I sent an e-mail about our new boss (who nobody liked, especially compared to our old boss who was universally loved) to one of my colleagues - it wasn't particularly horrid, but wasn't exactly nice either. Basically I compared him to the Gus Hedges character from Drop The Dead Donkey - mainly to do with his management style, but also he did look a little like him as well. I heard a snort of laughter from her desk at the other side of the room, then got a reply back from her saying it was "spot on" and I didn't think anything more of it.

The next day, I came in to find a grovelling e-mail from her saying "sorry, but I've got you in so much trouble". She'd gone to forward it to one of our ex-colleagues (who had left mainly because of said new boss), only to accidentally send it to the boss himself because the two of them were next to each other in her contacts list.

I immediately whipped off a pre-emptive apology e-mail to the boss to try and defuse things - thankfully he said that he'd never seen the show (unless he was lying to spare my agony), but I'll admit that relations between myself and him were quite frosty for the rest of my time at that company.

Having had trouble in the past with mere phone calls being put through whilst the caller could hear the exchange between myself and a colleague (along the lines of "what does that winker want now"), I always made it a strict rules to never write an email in anger, no matter how aggrieved I felt at the time. Nor did I reply to emails from colleagues aggrieved about something. I would wait and speak to them in the car park, or the pub, or anywhere else that there would be no record.....

lane

Veteran
I'm very careful at work.

I was once negotiating with a software supplier to purchase their product, and the sales manager emailed their commercial manager saying they would not have to use all the discount available to get the deal, but also copied me in. Nice. Although it did make me wonder if I wasn't negotiating hard enough!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have done enough small fry regrets, including an email to 7000 people with some choice views about one of our own products that should have gone to a team of just 4 people. However, I have been the recipient of a mail that the sender regretted when I informed them. They managed to send me an unencrypted list of names, addresses, phone numbers etc and current/future whereabouts of some very famous people all because I have same surname as someone they deal with in their organisation. The panic when I told them what they had done was immense. Luckily I am a nice person so permanently deleted the data immediately.

Top Bottom