Pressing 'send' and regretting it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
email addresses were regarded as the university's property (rather than personal communication as they now rightly are
I think you misunderstand the current position.

If you're not the domain owner, it's not your property.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think you misunderstand the current position.

If you're not the domain owner, it's not your property.
I think you misunderstand the law, which is more nuanced than that now. For the full detail, see s3.2 of https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organisations/documents/1064/the_employment_practices_code.pdf

lazybloke

Considering a new username
A bloke at work (not me) got hauled in front of HR for writing a lewd message about the chest of a female colleague.
How did HR know? Because he mucked up the syntax of the NET SEND command causing it to display on EVERY computer in the building rather than just his mate's PC in the next room!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
We have two very similar email addresses in our organisation: @...command (which is the whole region) and @...commandsupport (3 person admin group for the local building). When sending emails that include staff personal information to the support unit, you'd have thought that management would check the recipient details very carefully, but quite a few get sent to the whole region by mistake.

Ah, email addresses. Slight drift but I do once absentmindedly (ok, stupidly) asking a client why the address of one of the people in marketing didn't follow the usual company format of first name, initial letter of second name @company.

Was politely pointed out that the person's first name was ana, surname kicked off with "l".

Pondering whether to contribute on main theme.

Bonus

Veteran
My sister was buying a house. The estate agent selling the house accidently cc'd my sister when writing to the seller of the property to advise that they might have to drop the price by several thousand.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Years ago I was a mod of an irc depression chat room and used to talk to another mod friend via personal message whilst checking on the room.
I had a lady friend who I used to see and sometimes she'd bring her kids along for a day out with me. They weren't always best behaved to put it mildly.
So, one bad day I was talking to the other mod via pm and mentioned that I'd turned down a date with my other friend as I just didn't have the patience to deal with her "bratty, spoilt rotten, tantrum chucking brats".
Yup, dopey dumb dumb here pressed send and it showed up in the main chat room...where said friend was along with 20-30 other chatters. The room went deathly silent.
We're still fb friends and she forgave me after many apologies.

Brains

Legendary Member
A person who amazing is still employed in my company did a cut and paste job on a market report where the last line had words to the effect of " get that lazy ar5e to fill in a bit here from that f***ing w**ker"

The market report was duly sent out at 6pm on a Friday night to 1,000+ recipients including a lot in the Far East and a lot of news channels such as Reuters, Bloomberg, Platts etc.

Everyone in the business knew who the two people referred to were, and at least two of the news sites picked up the story and had published it before the Europeans got into the office on Monday morning and realised the error.

Needless to say the market report was the most well read one of the month, it was obliquely "quoted" in many others.

Top Bottom