Pressure question on road tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

Hi

Does anyone know roughly what %age of pressure is lost when you release the pump from a valve on a clincher-style road tube/tyre?

So if I put in, say, 100psi, what will it actually come out as?

Thanks

Stu

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Hi

Does anyone know roughly what %age of pressure is lost when you release the pump from a valve on a clincher-style road tube/tyre?

So if I put in, say, 100psi, what will it actually come out as?

Thanks

Stu

I don't think that is easily answerable. I am guessing it would depend on the value, the speed at which the pump comes off the width of the tyres and many more things I can't think of.

That said usually one push of a track pump more than required is adequate.

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

Thanks for that honest if unfulfilling answer ;)

I figured it would involve too many variables to be able to just say "10%" or whatever. I will just whack 105 in tonight and see how it goes tomorrow.

Cheers

Stu

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Thanks for that honest if unfulfilling answer ;)

I figured it would involve too many variables to be able to just say "10%" or whatever. I will just whack 105 in tonight and see how it goes tomorrow.

Cheers

Stu

I would say that if you can take the pump head of quickly and in one smooth motion then the pressure will be fine.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Seeing as it doesn't really matter if you're a few psi over or under, I wouldn't let it worry you unduly.
Just stick an extra stroke or two on the pump once you get to the required pressure if you must.

Sometimes I have to give the pump head a good wiggle to get it off, and what sounds like a lot of air hisses out. Tyres still feel nice and solid afterwards though, so not that bothered.

Top Bottom