Presta removable core

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I had a visit from the 'P' fairy the other day, so I fit a new tube, inflated it and when I tried to remove the pump connector the valve core came out too. This is the first time I have come across a presta valve with a removable core. Can anyone tell me how to keep the core in place after pumping up the tyre or is it a secret.

Venod

Eh up
I have had this happen, a small adjustable on the two flats of the valve core and tighten usualy cures it, I think you can buy a special tool to fit also, I cut a suitable groove in the square bit of metal that goes through the door inbetween the handles.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Using a pump that doesn't have a screw-on connecter also minimises the chances of the core unscrewing. Or take care to buy tubes which don't have a removable core. Or if a new tube has a removeable core, use just a tiny drop of threadlocker and tighten it before putting in it in your back pocket. This assumes that the rider is not a 'slime in the tube' type, nor are they one who needs a valve extension to cope with deep section carbon wheels.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Quite easy and cheap to get a tool for either Presta or Woods/maybe some Schrader type valves. They sometimes come with extra valve cores. A good idea, because they can go bad. Especially the Presta, the little brass center of the core can get bent.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Got it sorted now. Ordered a tool & super-glued the valve cores in place for now. should be OK as long as it doesn't rain. Thanks for your advice guys.

wonderloaf

Veteran
This happens a lot. If you haven’t got one of little plastic deelies or an ‘official’ tube core tool, use a spoke key, or the spoke key that comes on a lot of bike multi tool chain breakers. I use press on mini pumps, and press on CO2 inflators, just to be safe.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/co2-pump-20g-cartridge-id_8502292.html
Like these.
I had one of these inflators, whilst being very handy make sure you don't loose the O-ring or seal inside the nozzle (as I did) as it renders it completely useless. Very inconvenient whilst fixing a puncture in the back end of nowhere, so glad I also carry a mini-pump with me!

DRHysted

Guru
I feel slightly less embarrassed about the time I pulled my valve core out now.
it happened after a puncture on the way to work after I had inflated the tube using my Co2 pump. The pump froze slightly to the valve core, and as I was removing the pump the core came with it, resulting in a suddenly flat tyre. Thankfully I always carry 3 Co2 cylinders, so after some swearing I was on my way quickly.
I’ve also experienced trying to inflate a tyre with the rubber seal missing from a Co2 pump. Most of the gas escaped to atmosphere, but (just about) enough got into the tube for me to limp to work.

Top Bottom