Presta to Schrader Converter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisan

I'm having a hard time sourcing a presta to schrader converter that properly seals around the valve.

I've bought a couple recently, from different sellers, but they leak air when inflating the tyre. Obviously I can't trust the pressure reading. I intentionally avoided the cheap ones.

Can anyone recommend a converter that will do the job properly?

Thanks,
Chris

Mobytek

convertors are never going to be perfect as one is a screw down, one is pressure dependnent. Manufacturing tolerences are nearly always goung to give you a leak - if one is at the bottom end of acceptable and the other a the top, the ga in the middle is your leak

Instead of chaning the convertor as youl prbs never find a perfect one, try a bit of plumbers tape or similar around the thread.

Steady

Über Member
Not a perfect solution, but there's a diy YouTube video somewhere regarding turning plastic valve dust caps into a good converter.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
+1 to @Mobytek. PTFE tape around the valve thread and screw the adaptor on and you're as good as you'll get.

Do you need a converter? its hard nowadays to find a pump that only fits one valve type, in almost every smaller pump you can flip the parts of the head to accommodate the appropriate valve type & track pumps invariably have dual heads, for the £20 odd cost of a decent small or usable track pump it's worth the investment.

byegad

Legendary Member
Unless it's an aero rim drill it for Schrader inner tubes. An appropriately sized drill and some patience is all you need.

Top Bottom