Presta Valve Adapter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mick1836

Über Member
Should the brass Presta valve adapter have a rubber O ring in it? See picture
mYCACPa_UdgumhGdpWxV2eg.jpg

When upgraded my hybrid bike to a MTB I went from using Schrader :smile: to Presta :sad: as you cab see I much prefer the car type Schrader valves.
The first time I tried inflating a tyre with a Presta valve it appeared to struggle to seal, I suspected that some sort of seal in the brass adapter was missing or was faulty to I popped along to a local cycle shop where I purchased two ( one as a spare) these still didn't appear to have rubber seal ring but I was able to inflate the tyres on my MTB.
I have now moved onto a road bike with 25c tyres with tyre pressures depending on the riders weight from 6.0bar / 87 psi to 8.0bar / 115psi.

I have just attempted to inflate the tyres on my new bike up to 100psi but found the adapter wouldn't seal on the Presta valve and the tyre deflated quicker than the 120psi 12v compressor could blow it up :angry:

Now a quick visit to Google bike pump adapter images quickly produced numerous adapters like the one I've put above clearly showing a rubber O ring in one end,is that right?

Yes

OP
OP
mick1836

mick1836

Über Member
Thanks Yellow Saddle for your reply, however since I made my OP a friend on hearing my plight popped over with his Lidl Crivit floor pump and within a couple of pumps both tyres were up to 100psi so I'm going to ditch the 12v compressor pump for cycle use and invest in a cycle floor pump but this now gives me a new dilemma which floor pump to buy?

Now my friends Lidl Crivit pump :pump: cost him £5.99 and comes with a 3 year warranty and a Google search produces pumps over £100:eek: so apart from an emptier wallet what would a £100 pump do that that £5.99 Lidl one doesn't?
Cunobelin, hope this increases the thread length to your approval?

U

User32269

I've had the Lidl pump for a couple of years and it's had plenty of use, lives in a damp old shed, and it's still working fine.

si_c

Guru
My track pump from Halfords cost me as tenner with my British cycling discount. No need to go super expensive.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Again get the cheapest track pump you find IMO, there is nowt to go wrong with them. The only thing you get with the £100 is imported air normally from the French Alps. Some say it makes a difference to speed but I don't notice much.