Presta Valve breakages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here's one for you all
How many of you find that on connecting the Track pump ( one that has a snap operated lever to secure to Presta valve when inflating) that invariably well about one in 20 times i've been inflating tyres the small threaded part of the valve bends or snaps off
Can you get just the valve assembly? ass this is all thats wrong with at least three of my inner tubes , ok I know its a throw away world but it seems ridiculous I can't just replace the valve as the Continental Race 28 tube I just had this happen to has removable valve assembly see attached Pictures
DSC00017.JPG
DSC00018.JPG

wonderloaf

Veteran
Try eBay, loads available

Well Dogtrousers Just ordered some of these from the SJS cycles And at least these will save me buying inner tubes though just been looking at the one I replaced it with which is a Vittoria Ultralite 42mm 700+ 19/23 Presta inner tube and this tube doesn't seem to have a removable valve core? And yet at Chain reaction they seem to be selling Valve core for the Vittoria inner tube brand!
P.s just added some picture of the Vittoria Presta thats fitted now and you can see its already starting to bend after taking hose connector off through inflating As the connection doesn't seem to make good unless you really jam it on hard before throwing locking lever to locked position

Attachments

• DSC00021.JPG
    DSC00021.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00022.JPG
    DSC00022.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00011.JPG
    DSC00011.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It could be something to do with the fact that you appear to be tightening and undoing the nut with mole grips, judging by the gouges in the metal! You only need to nip it up finger tight, any more than that is overkill.

Don't think I've ever broken one. That's quite a breakage rate, you must be doing something not quite right to be chewing through them so much and by the looks of the picture, literally chewing them!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Well Dogtrousers Just ordered some of these from the SJS cycles And at least these will save me buying inner tubes though just been looking at the one I replaced it with which is a Vittoria Ultralite 42mm 700+ 19/23 Presta inner tube and this tube doesn't seem to have a removable valve core? And yet at Chain reaction they seem to be selling Valve core for the Vittoria inner tube brand!

Some Presta valves have removable cores, some do not.

The removable ones have two flats - just visible in the SJS link posted by Doggers - which are to enable the little U shaped key to grip.

Reactions: C R
Well Pale Rider is it just the more expensive tubes then than will have the removable core? and No Skol I have never used grips on them and always just done them finger tight perhaps I need to think about an alternative method of securing pump connector to presta valve other than the lever action fitting that I have fitted at the moment? Though I got one that is a double so can fix to Schrader valves too.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's a continental tube. Despite the premium, they are crap. I had issues with snapping, and also cores leaking. Vittoria, michelin or Btwin for the win.

Bobario

Veteran
I'm always bending these things too. I read somewhere that it's caused by pushing the pump head on too far, then when you close the valve to inflate it bends the pin. Though I haven't had a puncture recently to test this theory, I've also heard bad things about the Conti tubes so I'm going to stop using them. I once spent about 45 minutes on top of Pendle hill trying to fix a puncture after the valve core on my Conti tube kept unscrewing with my pumps adaptor. If I had any brains I'd have left it attached till I got back to the car.

D

Deleted member 23692

Prestas are crap and as the world is moving towards wider rims and tyres, they really need resigning to the scrap bin and schraders become the norm.

And before anyone says that schraders can't handle higher pressures for road bikes... The one on my MTB's rear shock is happily holding back well over 300psi

Prestas are crap and as the world is moving towards wider rims and tyres, they really need resigning to the scrap bin and schraders become the norm.

And before anyone says that schraders can't handle higher pressures for road bikes... The one on my MTB's rear shock is happily holding back well over 300psi
But...they're heavier than Prestas!
:biggrin:

Well Thank you all for your input I have ordered some presta valve cores now But am surprized I can't find a list anywhere of which tubes have removable valve core anywhere and all the inner tube details for purchasing don't seem to mention if that particular tube has removable core or not! As I thought I would only buy tubes with that feature in future anybody else had the same thoughts or is it me just being penny pinching?

I'm always bending these things too. I read somewhere that it's caused by pushing the pump head on too far, then when you close the valve to inflate it bends the pin. Though I haven't had a puncture recently to test this theory, I've also heard bad things about the Conti tubes so I'm going to stop using them. I once spent about 45 minutes on top of Pendle hill trying to fix a puncture after the valve core on my Conti tube kept unscrewing with my pumps adaptor. If I had any brains I'd have left it attached till I got back to the car.

That has happened to me before with conti tubes as my rocket pocket pump is screw on.I now carry the little valve tightener tool with me.
I think most manufacturers should make with or without removable valves.

Top Bottom