Presta valve in Schrader hole

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
My commute bike has Schrader valves and I prefer Presta. I know I can spend a few thousand pounds on some special grommet* but what problems will I have if I simply use Presta instead?

*ok, four quid for 10, but I only need two

Tim Hall

Specialized presta tubes have specially shaped valve rings, so that one side can fit into a Schraeder sized hole. No grommets needed.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If you want to bodge it, cut a circle out of a redundant inner tube about 20mm diameter, cut a 5mm hole in the middle and push it over the presta valve (will be tight) then use (in the normal way) in the rim with the schrader sized hole.

BikeCurious

Über Member
I've just put the presta valve through the schraeder hole in the past and it worked. You just have to be careful when detaching your pump after use as there is the possibility of pulling the valve through the hole and ripping it clean off the inner tube.... so I probably wouldn't recommend it but it is doable.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Depending on the tube construction and valve hole smoothness, a Presta valve may burst through the Schrader hole.

If you've a Schrader-size hole and a Presta pump, take advantage of the situation and fit Woods valves. They rock because the air inlet only ever has to let air in, so it seals shut better, all else being equal. (You let air out by unscrewing a different seal.)
437px-Fietsventiel_met_afsluiter.svg.png

Top Bottom