Previous home telephone,mobile phone and internet days. How did you communicate with your friends and relatives etc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I recall a (BT) product called ISDN, which allowed a sort of Wide Area, but, Private (I think) connection, over the "old" copper wire system. I think it must have been around mid 1980s?
Integrated Services Digital Network. Typical BT pompous polysyllabysm. The yanks at the time called their version 'Fatpipe', which is just what it was - the first appearance of broadband to the public. (A previous bb network had been established to connect academic institutions - JANET, standing for Joint Academic Network, later upgraded to the excellent-sounding 'SuperJanet'.)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Integrated Services Digital Network. Typical BT pompous polysyllabysm. The yanks at the time called their version 'Fatpipe', which is just what it was - the first appearance of broadband to the public. (A previous bb network had been established to connect academic institutions - JANET, standing for Joint Academic Network, later upgraded to the excellent-sounding 'SuperJanet'.)

Yes, I cannot recall the exact year (early 1980's, I think), but, we used it to "connect" five "branches" of the company I worked for, at the time. It all seems so mundane now, but, at the time, it was like magic ;)

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Ah, memories of red phone boxes with doors requiring you to be Clark Kent to open them, strong whiff of fag ash & urine, prostitute...sex worker stickers all over the door, dog eared copy of yellow pages oddly always with the page you need missing:laugh:.
I often leave the mobile at home when I go shopping just for the nostalgic thrill of being un-contactable:okay:.

Top Bottom