price inflation of beers and crisps

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
According to the book Get Carter (originally Jack's Return Home) which was published about 1970, a pint of beer cost one shilling and ten pence, which I reckon is about 9 new pence. A weekend's rent in a cheap guest house cost 50 shillings, which is £2.50 in new money. I reckon inflation has gone up 40x, maybe more. In the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which first came out as a radio broadcast in 1978, Ford Prefect could buy ten pints of beer and six packets of crisps for less than a fiver. So what's that, 40p for a pint of beer and 15p for a packet of crisps? So inflation went up 4x between 1970 and 1978. That would mean inflation has increased about 10x since 1978 and I am a bit surprised about that. The 70s was the decade of high inflation, but it has not been as high since then. I reckon inflation has at least doubled since I started work about 1989. A pint of beer reached £2 in the early 90s. So did inflation increase another 5x between 1978 and say, 1992?

Cerdic

Hmmm...your data may not be all that accurate. When I started drinking about 1980 a pint of beer was about 70p.

OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Hmmm...your data may not be all that accurate. When I started drinking about 1980 a pint of beer was about 70p.
Maybe it was six pints of beer and ten packets of crisps Ford Prefect bought for under a fiver. I am sure it was the other way around.

Also in Long Eaton in 1973, a bus ride into town from where we lived cost my mother 6 and two 3's for herself, me and my brother. So what would that cost now? A Milky Way cost 3p and I think a Mars Bar cost double. A Marathon cost the same as a Mars Bar; not sure about Curly Wurlys or Milky Bars.

lane

Veteran
These are the prices of some items from 1975:

1975 priceInflation adjusted
Gallon of petrol73p£4.43
Bottle of whisky (Haig) (Key Markets)£3.39£20.50
Bottle of sherry (Harvey's Bristol Cream) (Fine Fare)£1.69£10.25
Watneys Party 4 (Peter Dominic)85p£5.15
Watneys Party 7 (Peter Dominic)£1.35£8.20
Pint of beer28p£1.70
20 cigarettes42p£2.50
Pint of milk7p42p
Large loaf of bread15p91p
22" Ultra colour TV (Currys)£259.00£1600.00
20" Ferguson black & white TV (Currys)£74.95£460.00
Daily Mirror newspaper5p30p
Average house price£11,000.00£67,000.00
½lb Lurpack butter (Safeway)14p85p
Nescafé 4oz coffee (Tesco)35p£2.12
Can of coke (Tesco)7½p45p
Ford Cortina car£1765.00£10,700.00
Indesit fridge-freezer (Currys)£109.95£670.00
Hotpoint Supermatic twin tub washing machine (Currys)£122.95£750.00
Hoover Automatic Deluxe washing machine (Currys)£145.95£900.00
Golden Wonder crisps8p50p
One dozen large white eggs38p£2.30
1lb Stork soft margarine (Key Markets)20p£1.20
Jacobs Cream Crackers (Sainsbury's)13p80p
Average weekly wages
  • Full-time manual worker - male (aged 21 and over) £60.00

lane

Veteran
Ford Cortina looks good value at £10,700 adjusted to current prices. I really liked the look of the MK3.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Maybe it was six pints of beer and ten packets of crisps Ford Prefect bought for under a fiver. I am sure it was the other way around.

Also in Long Eaton in 1973, a bus ride into town from where we lived cost my mother 6 and two 3's for herself, me and my brother. So what would that cost now? A Milky Way cost 3p and I think a Mars Bar cost double. A Marathon cost the same as a Mars Bar; not sure about Curly Wurlys or Milky Bars.
Your calculations will need to be redone. It was six pints of bitter, but no price was given - Ford just handed over a fiver & said keep the change.
And it wasn't crisps, but four packets of peanuts for 28 pence - 7 pence each.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
In 1977/8 a pint of McEwan's bitter was 23p and a pint of 'Heavy' was 27p in Dundee University's Student's Union bar. A gallon of 4* petrol hit 99p.

Brains

Legendary Member
Using the BofE calculator, it means that inflation adjusted my first job paid me £2.93p per hour in todays money.
Which is about one third of the minimum wage today.

I think the statement that the average wage for an adult in 1975 was £60 per week sounds very high to me, I think it was more like half that amount, but it was a time of massive inflation.

Good morning,

Probably not to too surprising is the trend line from around1989-1993 which was when the breweries were forced to sell off many of their pubs and we saw the creation of the PubCos.

This saw a market where pubs tied to breweries could operate at lower profit levels as they were part of the distribution chain of the breweries end. Once the brewery had to make a profit on the beer and the pubcos on the pub there was inevitably a price hike.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Good morning,

Probably not to too surprising is the trend line from around1989-1993 which was when the breweries were forced to sell off many of their pubs and we saw the creation of the PubCos.

This saw a market where pubs tied to breweries could operate at lower profit levels as they were part of the distribution chain of the breweries end. Once the brewery had to make a profit on the beer and the pubcos on the pub there was inevitably a price hike.

View attachment 580203

Bye

Ian
Hi Ian Smith, which CSE did you pass?

Top Bottom