price inflation of beers and crisps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning,

I didn't realise it but there is now a new and unpleasant meaning of the abbreviation CSE which takes precedence in a Google search over the old qualification

I only found it just now by looking for the basis of humorous reply.

Bye

Ian

Milzy

Guru
According to the book Get Carter (originally Jack's Return Home) which was published about 1970, a pint of beer cost one shilling and ten pence, which I reckon is about 9 new pence. A weekend's rent in a cheap guest house cost 50 shillings, which is £2.50 in new money. I reckon inflation has gone up 40x, maybe more. In the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which first came out as a radio broadcast in 1978, Ford Prefect could buy ten pints of beer and six packets of crisps for less than a fiver. So what's that, 40p for a pint of beer and 15p for a packet of crisps? So inflation went up 4x between 1970 and 1978. That would mean inflation has increased about 10x since 1978 and I am a bit surprised about that. The 70s was the decade of high inflation, but it has not been as high since then. I reckon inflation has at least doubled since I started work about 1989. A pint of beer reached £2 in the early 90s. So did inflation increase another 5x between 1978 and say, 1992?
Interesting stuff. I remember at 18 in year 2000 Lagers like Fosters & Carling was £2.20 up north. Student night all bottles £1. Them were the days.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The first pint of mild I sold, nay, the only pint of mild I ever sold cost 12p. But as the chap was a pensioner and the prices had just gone up, the landlord told me to sell it at 10p because he was the only one who drank it. This would have been 74-75. It was only quite a bit later that I asked myself what slops were actually coming out of the mild tap.

There are a few good craft milds around these days but don't expect change out of a fiver.

Chislenko

Veteran
The first pint of mild I sold, nay, the only pint of mild I ever sold cost 12p. But as the chap was a pensioner and the prices had just gone up, the landlord told me to sell it at 10p because he was the only one who drank it. This would have been 74-75. It was only quite a bit later that I asked myself what slops were actually coming out of the mild tap.

There are a few good craft milds around these days but don't expect change out of a fiver.

I could never understand why it was actually called Mild, it was anything but!!

Back in the day in the first pub I worked at Greenall Whitley Mild and Festival Bitter were the top sellers, hardly anybody drank lager then (I think it was 2p dearer!!!)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I could never understand why it was actually called Mild, it was anything but!!

Back in the day in the first pub I worked at Greenall Whitley Mild and Festival Bitter were the top sellers, hardly anybody drank lager then (I think it was 2p dearer!!!)
I think it was meant to be more malty than stouts and porters and with only a light bitterness. I've no idea what Greenall's version of it was trying to do but if it was anything like the Tolly, they had the publican to contend with too....

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's quite a while since i went in a pub as they've been closed for the best part of a year,but my local pub was selling Walkers crisps before this lockdown stuff for a pound(£) a bag. I can buy 6 bags of far superior Seabrook crisps in a supermarket for the same price,albeit a slightly smaller bag/amount. A quid for a packet of crisps is downright ridiculous!🧐

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I remember going to a Christmas Eve party in 1976. I took a bottle of Harveys Bristol Cream (still love that stuff.....especially with a couple of Maraschino cherries chucked in!:becool:^_^),which cost if i remember rightly 78p. I think it's about a tenner now. Sounds a lot in difference,but the week leading up to Christmas that year i worked overtime (50 hour week) in a local pet produce factory (Saturday mornings and school holidays job) and took home £22. I also remember being paid in a twenty pound note and 2 pound notes. Imagine now if you got most of your weekly wage in a single note of money!:smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom