Pride power.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike5537

I've recently been thinking about motivation which is something I do struggle with and I really think if you are proud of your bike & equipment etc that you will ride harder and longer, does anyone else agree with this type of thinking, I know I try harder when im not embarrassed by my bike but spurred on when I'm astride a good looking machine that others will look at and think "nice bike"

I know its vainity which in some ways is a bit sad but if it gets the job done it must be a positive yes?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Gary E

Veteran
Don't know about pride but ego certainly plays a part in my case :laugh:

I hate being overtaken and I always put extra effort in if there're other cyclists around who can see me :bicycle:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I take great pride in racing lycra roadies as an overweight guy in normal clothes on a dirty front sus mtb with full guards and touring bag. Can't get near the good ones but its fun for the ones I can - nothing to lose :biggrin:

lulubel

Über Member
I don't care what other people think of my bike, which is good because I'm currently riding around on a cheap and knackered MTB. I ride because I enjoy getting out in the fresh air and escaping from the stresses of life for a while. I'm not bothered about going fast, except when I find a nice descent that I can freewheel down with a big grin on my face, shouting, "Wheeeee!"

But if showing off your nice bike is what gives you the motivation to get out there, what does it matter? We all ride for different reasons, and it's your reasons that matter for you.

I take great pride in racing lycra roadies as an overweight guy in normal clothes on a dirty front sus mtb with full guards and touring bag. Can't get near the good ones but its fun for the ones I can - nothing to lose :biggrin:

My MiL was in her late 70's when we bought an American electric cruiser for her.
Of course the speeds that a slight elderly lady can get on a machine built for "larger" Americans is reasonable.

She used to love overtaking teenagers and others, then looking back and smiling condescendingly !

I think that wherever you get your motivation from, if it works it's not a bad thing.

I am a slightly overweight, middle-aged man who just quite likes to ride a bicycle and does so quite a lot. When I don't feel motivated, I don't ride.

However, the notion of people admiring one's bicycle seems slightly unlikely to me. Most people i know don't cycle and don't know a hybrid from a full-sus MTB.

Those of my friends who do cycle seem not to measure the rider by the bike. They may register that someone has a yummy bike and may conclude that this is because they spent a lot of money on it. Clothing likewise... Posh bike and posh clothes are a measure largely of how much one is prepared to spend on a hobby. there may also be an element of conspicuous consumption for some.

I was at a club TT the other day and saw (as one does) a goy of around 70 on a gorgeous, old, steel fixed-gear thingy with beautifully sinuous dropped bars that spread along the curve rather than dropping straight down. The frame was scruffy, but the bike was just beautiful.

Alongside all the carbon and tri-bars and bendy crossbars, it stood out as a thing of wonder.

All the carbon just looked a little try-hard.

I am a grim old misery and I ought to admit it.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
out of curiousity Mike what bike equipment are you proud off?

OP
OP
Mike5537

Mike5537

I've got a Dawes Sterling, lovely old machine but I dont love it so I feel it holds me back...

d92baa61-2564-1a2b.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom