Primary position advertisement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charlotte_C+ :-)

OMG that was close!:thumbsup:.

Thats happend to me a few times:blush:, ive got to make myself ride more assertively!

Cab

Terminator said:
Dont matter where you ride.You will still get dangerous overtaking.

Sort of, but ride in primary and you'll get an order of magnitude fewer instance of dangerous overtaking.

Cab

Terminator said:
Well I dont do too bad.So I must be doing something right.

Try riding in primary. Compare how close you're overtaken in primary, secondary and when you're on the kerb.

Tynan

Veteran
I agree with cab more or less, even a strong secondary makes a huge difference

leave yourself nothing and they squeeze you, take a strong line and they respect it, generally, and you always have some space in hand if you need it

I'm riding with a pannier on the outside and the nightvision top and it's really made a huge difference to the space I'm given, people seem far more reluctant to pass now, I've had more people follow me on narrow stretches or approaching pinches in the last three months than in the last three years

just seen the vid, that's defo a primary for the duration of that bridge, I wouldn't dream of doing it any other way, it's dangerous and then some to try and do that in secondary, oof

I mounted the smart light to the outside corner of the rack, to add some width, I imagine it lights up the shape of the pannier as well as the reflective strip

Very scary overtake. Report him!

The primary would have been very effective here. The truck would have had to cross the lane into oncoming traffic if the cyclist was in primary. The overtake just wouldn't have happened.

Position almost shouldn't matter there. As a car driver I would not have overtaken a cyclist, no matter where they were on that bridge.

That was just plain bad driving!

Tynan

Veteran
Crackle said:
Position almost shouldn't matter there. As a car driver I would not have overtaken a cyclist, no matter where they were on that bridge.

That was just plain bad driving!

indeed but that's exactly why positioning is essential there I suggest, plenty of others will, or try to rush it as that bloke did

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
riding too near the curb makes cagers think they can just breeze past. riding in primary position makes them calculate things like road space, closing speed etc. they might still sound the horn, but **** them. if i don't think there's enough space for a safe overtake i'll assume primary position until i think it's safe, and then i'll move over (there's a stretch on my commute where queuing traffic on the other side of the road makes a safe overtake impossible).

don't put their convenience over your own safety.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's just like what happened to me, the only time I didn't take primary at a particular stretch of road - blooming idiots those van drivers.....

neslon

If you give them enough room to squeeze past, thats what they will do. Don't do it! I think it was Mikey who said 'I am traffic'. Thats the attitude in these situations.

I must also say cntl, I'd have been checking over my shoulder there. Is your cam helmet mounted or handlebar or had you already checked before the start of the clip?

OP
OP
cntl

cntl

>>Is your cam helmet mounted or handlebar or had you already checked
>>before the start of the clip?

The camera is helmet mounted. I have a mirror which I use pretty much all the time and thus I knew he was coming. That's why I went back to the cerb when I saw him overtake me-at that stage it was too late to take the primary. It is my "fault" in the sense that I should have taken the primary early. It is a valuable lesson for me.

Top Bottom