Prince Phillip passes away.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
RIP. Whilst I'm not a fan of the royal family, most of which appear to be hangers-on, Prince Philip does leave a legacy. The Duke of Edinburgh Scheme along with his support of WWF plus more.

I'm guessing the Queen will stay on until her 70th anniversary, then abdicate.
I did the Bronze DofE but in the Silver I got lumped with my nemeses bully gang for the trial expedition which was an ordeal I could do without. I dropped out halfway through.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
My favourite quote attributed to him -

On Number 10's idea for Diana's funeral

F*** off - we are talking about two boys who have lost their mother (1997)
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/jun/21/quotes-by-prince-philip

Prince Philip allegedly told Tony Blair's spin doctors to 'f*** off' when it was suggested William and Harry should walk behind their mother's coffin at her funeral.

The row with number 10 officials reportedly happened during a call with the palace and Philip was apparently backed by the Queen , although she did not take part in the call.

It came amid accusations Blair's government was taking over Princess Diana's funeral.

Other ideas for Diana's funeral reportedly included allowing members of the public to walk behind the procession, to invite Nelson Mandela or to put up a big TV screen in a park.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Two pages in and nobody has used the phrase

Good Innings yet.

I'm amazed.

I was going to say "taken before his time".

I've only ever known him as the doddery old fool stood alongside the queen, but he had a remarkable and challenging life before he got married. Interesting to read a bit about Gordonstoun School and the ideas behind the Duke of Edinburgh award.

Who is the right person to take this over? Princess Anne or Duchess of Cambridge would be the most outdoorsy ones with enough down-to-earth attitude for this.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I've only ever known him as the doddery old fool stood alongside the queen, but he had a remarkable and challenging life before he got married. Interesting to read a bit about Gordonstoun School and the ideas behind the Duke of Edinburgh award.
He was pretty nifty with the horse and carriage when younger. I remember him competing at Scone Palace.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm not a royalist or anti-monarchist, no strong feelings either way, but I am saddened by the passing of the Prince. He and the Queen do represent a different and fast disappearing generation where things mattered. Some of those values were no bad thing and in my opinion have been thrown away for no better reason than they fell out of fashion or seemed 'old fashioned'.
The very existence of the Queen and Prince has always given me a warm comfy feeling and helped me feel patriotic and slightly proud to be British, even at times when I look around at my fellow countrymen and despair at what we appear to have become.
All they really had to do was behave reasonably and maintain dignity, something most of the younger royals have spectacularly failed to achieve.
I hope the Queen has some close friends to support her in her remaining years because she will miss him sorely.

vickster

Legendary Member
I was going to say "taken before his time".

Who is the right person to take this over? Princess Anne or Duchess of Cambridge would be the most outdoorsy ones with enough down-to-earth attitude for this.
They've just said on the news Edward has been doing it

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm guessing the Queen will stay on until her 70th anniversary, then abdicate.

Apart from her Kenya promise, I don't see the Queen as someone who would chase milestones.

Quite the reverse, she would probably see that as trivialising the position.

Another reason for bashing on is she might want to inflict Charles on the nation for the shortest time possible.

He is a bit of a duffer, although nowhere near as much as when he was younger.

byegad

Legendary Member
Shame he didn't make 100. I'm no monarchist, although I'm pretty sure HRH was better than presidents Blair, or Thatcher.
Philip gave offence at time, and I suspect I'd have not 'got on with him'. But he did a job that only had one, short lived, precedent, in Albert. Apart from the odd racist remark sadly not made 'off the record', he did the difficult, almost impossible job really well.

D

Deleted member 26715

Another reason for bashing on is she might want to inflict Charles on the nation for the shortest time possible.
He is a bit of a duffer, although nowhere near as much as when he was younger.
If anything I can see him not taking over, I don't know the correct term as he can't abdicate if not crowned, but I suspect he may consider allowing it to pass over him.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
If anything I can see him not taking over, I don't know the correct term as he can't abdicate if not crowned, but I suspect he may consider allowing it to pass over him.
This would be a good idea if the Monarchy is to be as important to future generations.Charles is too old IMO.Younger people will possibly identify with Bill and Kate more than Charlie and Camilla.

Top Bottom