Prince Phillip passes away.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

My prediction - Her Majesty will see through the funeral arrangements, and then any period of official morning, and then once a suitable interval has passed will stand aside. By the end of the year we'll have King Charles, or whatever regal name he may choose as an alternative.
I'll be one to disagree, I think she takes her responsibility too seriously to stand down, she may hand over the meet & greet to Charlie boy & his companion, for all the sweaty hand pressing, but I think her reign will die with her.

Chislenko

Veteran
Two pages in and nobody has used the phrase

Good Innings yet.

I'm amazed.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
I'll be one to disagree, I think she takes her responsibility too seriously to stand down, she may hand over the meet & greet to Charlie boy & his companion, for all the sweaty hand pressing, but I think her reign will die with her.

I think that's right. She will remember the last abdication; burned into her soul.

Even for my generation (born in 59) it was a thing in our parents' time.

She lived through it being thrown into the succession.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
RIP Prince Phillip and condolences to HM The Queen.

I liked Phillip, he had a wicked and sharp sense of humour.

One of his stewards shared a conversation he overheard in the lounge of the Royal aircraft flying over the middle East... Phillip remarked to the Queen that there was a remarkable, arrow straight road running for as far as he could see, right through the desert.
"Oh yes sir", interjected one of his aides.... "desolate place to find yourself though, you'd have to be a madman to drive there. If you found yourself stranded on that road it would be days before you'd see another vehicle".

Phillip smiled wryly and pointed down, saying "Yes indeed... oh look, there's two madmen just passing each other now".

pawl

Legendary Member
R I P your highness you will be sorely missed by her Majesty

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Agreed.

In the broadcast from Kenya immediately after the death of her father, she promised to devote her life to our service.

Only she knows precisely what she meant by that, but the usual reading is rule unto death.

Elizabeth could continue to serve us in some capacity after abdicating, thereby keeping the promise, but I think that's very unlikely.

Shame he didn’t live to get a centurion card from his dearest wife for making it to 100. It will be a tough time in the royal household this week. I am no royalist or no anti monarchy either, I just don’t get the fascination at all; they are just rich people running a very successful business (ethics aside) and kudo’s to them.

I hope for a day of mourning so I can get out and ride my bike on the quiet roads while everyone is glued to the TV.

pawl

Legendary Member
Shame he didn’t live to get a centurion card from his dearest wife for making it to 100. It will be a tough time in the royal household this week. I am no royalist or no anti monarchy either, I just don’t get the fascination at all; they are just rich people running a very successful business (ethics aside) and kudo’s to them.

I hope for a day of mourning so I can get out and ride my bike on the quiet roads while everyone is glued to the TV.

Was was the latter part of your comments really necessary.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
RIP. Whilst I'm not a fan of the royal family, most of which appear to be hangers-on, Prince Philip does leave a legacy. The Duke of Edinburgh Scheme along with his support of WWF plus more.

I'm guessing the Queen will stay on until her 70th anniversary, then abdicate.

Top Bottom