The cost of staying away

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Has the cost of overnight accommodation risen sharply in the last few years?

Brother is currently touring Ireland with a mate.

His hotel booking was for two rooms, six nights, no food.

The cost was a startling (to me) £2,350.

He told me he also considered Scotland and found all the prices to be much the same.

I don't know the quality of the hotel, but I get the impression it's decent, but certainly not flash.

Seems a big pile of wedge to me - best part of £200 a night - although even I was aware you can easily pay £100 a night these days.

What's your experience of hotel/bed and breakfast prices?

Drago

Legendary Member
Yep, hotels are getting pricier too.

Reactions: C R

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You are looking north of £100 for many, unless you do early bird Premier Inn etc.

For the Pennine Bridleway ride, we've rooms in nice pubs which are about £150ish per night with breakfast. - Weekend rates are dearer.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Yep. A weekend away is just about manageable but a week in a UK hotel is very expensive.
Hotels aren’t set up for a family booking for a week.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Air b&b used to regularly return prices of 75-90 in and around Cornwall. Some as low as 55. But doing a search yesterday they were mostly 120 and up. Everyone has cashed in on the energy crisis, Ukraine war, bregsit and other excuses to put prices up. We paid £185 for a night in a double room in Grasmere a few weekends ago, that was quite steep but the location and quality of the room was very good and breakfast was included.

D

Deleted member 26715

Used to book Premier/Travel/Ibis etc. overnight normally a Saturday for car shows 10 years ago, rarely paid more than £30 a night, was looking the other day for some out of the wayish type place an in not in centre of a town & they were wanting £160 a night.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hotels aren’t set up for a family booking for a week.

Seems to be the case.

Brother told me several places couldn't/wouldn't take the booking even though he was flexible on arrival dates.

I suppose now is peak season, so presumably there will be more space and cheaper prices later in the year.

Alex321

Veteran
Well we have twice had a night in a hotel in the UK in the last year. Each of them was less than £100 for two of us in a double romm, bed & breakfast.

One was in a Holiday Inn in Aylesbury (which was actually very decent, I'd be very happy to stay there again), the other was an independent hotel/pub on the Gower.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Been looking at the costs of hotels for my company. We've had to raise the guidelines from £70 a night to £90 a night and even then, in some areas that doesn't get close. If I'm going to Inverness I tend to stay in Elgin 40 miles away.

1688647260959.png

That's for 1 night next Wed for 1 person.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Has the cost of overnight accommodation risen sharply in the last few years?

Brother is currently touring Ireland with a mate.

His hotel booking was for two rooms, six nights, no food.

The cost was a startling (to me) £2,350.

He told me he also considered Scotland and found all the prices to be much the same.

I don't know the quality of the hotel, but I get the impression it's decent, but certainly not flash.

Seems a big pile of wedge to me - best part of £200 a night - although even I was aware you can easily pay £100 a night these days.

What's your experience of hotel/bed and breakfast prices?

£120 a night at the Inveraray Inn in mid-January... so definitely low season. It did include breakfast though.

Top Bottom