The cost of staying away

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I just looked at Camborne in Cornwall for 1 night - premier inn - £146 if you pay now but non-refundable. That is ridiculous. I remember 10 years ago the going rate was about £45. It is not a desirable area at all, yes it's close to a number of tourist hotspots but the town itself is a hole

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m in Salzburg right now. I needed to find an extra night at short notice. Couldn’t find anything in the city for under £250/£300 :ohmy:
I stayed in Wels, £100, hour away by train. Worked fine!
It’s very busy with tourists here so not v surprising!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
AirBnb:

6 weeks ago Chester £367 for 3 nights.

Coming up; Whitley Bay £362 for 3 nights and York £521 for 4 nights.

Price has gone up a lot over the last few years. The AirBnb platform charge is getting chunky - of the £521 for York £73 is their charge.

Nonetheless, this is better value than hotels in the main - more room(s), more seating and more kitchen facilities etc.

I exclude the *iss takers with ridiculous 'cabins' in their back garden from the better value statement. Absurd prices for tiny accomodations that are no more than glorified sheds.

D

Deleted member 26715

I exclude the *iss takers with ridiculous 'cabins' in their back garden from the better value statement. Absurd prices for tiny accomodations that are no more than glorified sheds.
Funny you should say that, we may have a funeral in Aberdeen hopefully not, but it's not looking good, so I was just looking on Arbnb & there were several garden sheds available.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Has the cost of overnight accommodation risen sharply in the last few years?

Brother is currently touring Ireland with a mate.

His hotel booking was for two rooms, six nights, no food.

The cost was a startling (to me) £2,350.

He told me he also considered Scotland and found all the prices to be much the same.

I don't know the quality of the hotel, but I get the impression it's decent, but certainly not flash.

Seems a big pile of wedge to me - best part of £200 a night - although even I was aware you can easily pay £100 a night these days.

What's your experience of hotel/bed and breakfast prices?

Definately in both UK and EU.
Last week 1 Night Ibis Budget Portishead room only £150 - shocking really, but time of year and location affects prices substantially. Continent much the same at the moment.

Each time I visit the UK, I'm initially shocked at how expensive it is to live there now. Been an expat for around 19 years now, and here in Thailand we have traveled extensively over the years. Reckon we've paid an average of £15 a night for decent hotel accommodation, sometimes including a pool. Also, the price is per room, not per person. Being second generation Irish, I know how expensive it is over there, and can easily see why folk prefer to go on a trip to say, Spain or Greece, where you're getting much better value for your hard earned, not to mention the weather prospects!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've booked a Premier Inn next Sunday for £54, if I'd gone for the Monday instead it was more than double. I know Sunday's a quieter but that is a con.

They have 'market prices' I've had 3 nights booked at different times of the year for £48-£52, but all mid week. We've a concert on a saturday, and we are looking at a minimum of £130 !

ExBrit

Über Member
Same here in California. The problem here is the hotels can't pay illegals half the minimum wage under the table with no benefits anymore. Plus they're fecking greedy. It's starting to make a camper van viable again. But their prices have gone through the roof too. Hmmm maybe a tent. Let's look at local camp ground fees. Bloody hell $50 a night for a camping spot? It wasn't long ago I could get a Motel 6 room for that rate.

Thank god the house is paid for. I'll be taking a staycation.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I booked a place in Mid Wales, mid week the other night. It’s £38, which I had to double check. Probably find I’ve booked a cow shed. Some prices are eye watering for pretty basic rooms and I’ve noticed some are excluding breakfast from the deal, to make it look cheaper than it really is.

Top Bottom