The cost of staying away

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I booked a place in Mid Wales, mid week the other night. It’s £38, which I had to double check. Probably find I’ve booked a cow shed. Some prices are eye watering for pretty basic rooms and I’ve noticed some are excluding breakfast from the deal, to make it look cheaper than it really is.

...then adding parking at £12 a night.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
...then adding parking at £12 a night.

Fortunately I’ll be on my bike and any parking charges can go walk.

presta

Guru
Some pre-covid prices for comparision:

10 nights at Oxford YHA, August 2019: £177.82 = 17.78/nt
26 nights, various YHAs, August 2011: £455.25 = £17.51/nt

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Some people seem to think wild camping is a camper-van in a lay-by or passing place.

Well it's free and not on a site!
Is this 'Wild Camping'?
20230601_150059.jpg

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Oban prices are pretty high now and those with no local connections for a free overnight if ferry is off can expect to pay at least £100 B&B with no breakfast if going for an early ferry next morning.
I checked Premier Inn in Oban recently and it varied from £183 to £240.
I used to use PI in Dumbarton, Paisley and Aberdeen but out of my price range now.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Some cynics would say to claw back what they lost for 2 years & we all know they will drop down again when that deficit has been recovered

Not sure it works like that. It's supply and demand surely? If they are getting bookings at these high rates, I can't see them dropping prices once they've made up for covid losses. Nor would they continue to charge such high prices if they were getting no bookings

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I think much depends on location and timing, being retired we can chose to travel outside of main season and usually mid-week. In most instances I would run a mile from the £150/200 a night people suggest, in fact we wouldn't pay it, and in our situation it's not necessary.

Recent examples that I think were very acceptable are seven nights Airbnb, Lamlash, Arran in a very well appointed apartment - £590 for two. Wimbledon this week, 20 minutes walk to the tennis, £80pp for B&B. Edinburgh three weeks ago, 20 minutes from Murrayfield, Bruce Springsteen, again £80pp. These examples I see as good value due to location, event, etc.

It's not difficult to find good B&B for £50/60 mid-week.

We use Airbnb a lot, always a very high standard and good value if one looks around. I agree the chunk for "cleaning" etc. is often excessive. I always look to see if we can find the same property elsewhere and often can. The Lamlash visit saved about £70 by going direct to the owner after tracking her down.

Saying all this I don't complain at the high prices which are charged, though I won't pay them, just make other choices. The UK has become a very expensive place to live. This isn't the fault of the hospitality industry, businesses simply react to the situation. The country made its bed and now we have to live in it. No point in complaining.

When we think costs are too high we find a value alternative and do so in other areas.

Top Bottom