The cost of staying away

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
I think another contributory factor is that the availability of rooms is decreasing as more and more hotels are converted to asylum centres.

We had a week in Westport last autumn and hotel spaces were at a premium even out of season as the the big main hotel in the centre of town is now an asylum centre.

ExBrit

Über Member
I think another contributory factor is that the availability of rooms is decreasing as more and more hotels are converted to asylum centres.

We had a week in Westport last autumn and hotel spaces were at a premium even out of season as the the big main hotel in the centre of town is now an asylum centre.

That's a good point I hadn't considered. We have a massive homeless problem in SoCal (something to do with the weather and liberal politics). Many cities are providing motel rooms to unsheltered people which would increase demand. That would explain some of it.

Hmmmm - more expensive hotel rooms or homeless encampments on bike paths. I'll take the former thank you.

tyred

Legendary Member
It's getting completely outrageous here. The government have booked out a lot of hotels and hostels to house Ukrainians and those that are taking in normal guests are often asking silly money. I had a few days leave carried over from last year which had to be taken before March and I had planned a few days in Mullingar, cycling the length of the canal path in one direction and then the other and also a day on the Greenway between Mullingar to Athlone along an old railway. I didn't do it as the cheapest accommodation I could find was over €100 per night and it was just far too expensive. That was February, I hate to think what they'd charge in tourist season.

I was very happy with what I paid in Scotland last month. The cheapest was in Lamlash and Largs. Stranraer was the most expensive at £55/night. I found the Lomond Park Hotel in Balloch good value. It definitely isn't the Ritz but at £50 with a continental breakfast included, it was fine and they let me take my Brompton into the room with me. I definitely would have paid considerable more in Ireland.

Chislenko

Veteran
It's getting completely outrageous here. The government have booked out a lot of hotels and hostels to house Ukrainians and those that are taking in normal guests are often asking silly money. I had a few days leave carried over from last year which had to be taken before March and I had planned a few days in Mullingar, cycling the length of the canal path in one direction and then the other and also a day on the Greenway between Mullingar to Athlone along an old railway. I didn't do it as the cheapest accommodation I could find was over €100 per night and it was just far too expensive. That was February, I hate to think what they'd charge in tourist season.

I was very happy with what I paid in Scotland last month. The cheapest was in Lamlash and Largs. Stranraer was the most expensive at £55/night. I found the Lomond Park Hotel in Balloch good value. It definitely isn't the Ritz but at £50 with a continental breakfast included, it was fine and they let me take my Brompton into the room with me. I definitely would have paid considerable more in Ireland.

Yes, this was our experience in Westport. We are planning another trip to Ireland later on the year (after Mrs. C has recovered from her hip op) and prices / availability are not encouraging.

tyred

Legendary Member
Yes, this was our experience in Westport. We are planning another trip to Ireland later on the year (after Mrs. C has recovered from her hip op) and prices / availability are not encouraging.

Westport is always popular and expensive but it's a lovely town with great love music pubs, interesting architecture and a lot of great bike routes. There's a hostel there but I personally hate it and would never stay there again.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
No
It's tolerated, although maybe for not much longer with the behaviour of a lot of campervanners.
But it's not legally allowed in Scotland to park up a vehicle off the road without the landowner's permission.

Like wild camping on Dartmoor, a few have spoiled it for the many....

vickster

Legendary Member

Just splash out with some of your savings so you don’t have to pay tax on the interest ;) win-win

Top Bottom