The cost of staying away

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
It is all greed, pure greed. The whole world is consumed by greedy corporate organisations now. It has nothing to do with supply and demand or cost of production. Making a quick profit at all costs is all that matters nowadays and it will all end badly eventually.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I'd previously bivvied in the same spot -when touring on my Brompton - was that wild camping?

Not really wild if you can drive there.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Not really wild if you can drive there.

I guess what am hinting at here is the definition of 'wild', it seems OK if you can cycle somewhere remote but not if you can drive somewhere remote even if it's far from 'civilisation'. It's one of those semantic debates, we all know roughly what it means but in different contexts it means subtly different things....

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Some cynics would say to claw back what they lost for 2 years & we all know they will drop down again when that deficit has been recovered
Not cynical - just supply and demand and needing to make a profit. It's the way business has worked for at least 2000 years. The PIs and Travelodges of the world are subject to the same market forces as your local corner shop. But they are more resilient.

We stay in Lewes regularly. COVID killed two or three locally owned hotels. It didn't kill Premier Inn and it didn't kill the amateur AirBnBers who use the summer season for a bit of extra income.
I've booked a Premier Inn next Sunday for £54, if I'd gone for the Monday instead it was more than double. I know Sunday's a quieter but that is a con.
No - it's reduced demand = reduced cost.
We've a concert on a saturday, and we are looking at a minimum of £130 !
Yes - increased demand because of a concert.
for the week of their marathon
Yes - increased demand because of a major international event.
I think another contributory factor is that the availability of rooms is decreasing as more and more hotels are converted to asylum centres.
At most that's a local factor, despite what the Daily Mail might claim. There are about 50,000 asylum seekers in "hotel" rooms (actually more likely to be the sort of grotty "B&B" rooms used for homeless families). PI alone has more bedrooms than that - and you can bet they're being housed at 3 or 4 to the room.

Out of deference to a nonpolitical forum I won't go further...
Like wild camping on Dartmoor, a few have spoiled it for the many....
I think you mean "one rich landowner has spoiled it for the many".

By booking ahead and being flexible it's sometimes still possible to get a decent rate. I paid £100 a few weeks ago for a Travelodge in Forest Green (a few stops from KX) and I've got a Farringdon PI in a few weeks for the same price.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Booked a family suite for a night recently at Greene King pub, which was £114 including breakfasts for four. Seemed a reasonable price but was mid-week.

It wasn't the best accommodation, but it was super-convenient and breakfast was great.

Considering the energy prices for businesses, i'm not surprised hotel prices have gone up so much. I wonder if the same problem is filtering down to holiday lets.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
At the end of the day you either pay it or if you cant find anywhere cheaper then just stay at home and go off for days etc. A few years ago we looked into getting a caravan in Filey for a week and it was actually cheaper to go to New York. We went to New York.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Not cynical - just supply and demand and needing to make a profit. It's the way business has worked for at least 2000 years. The PIs and Travelodges of the world are subject to the same market forces as your local corner shop. But they are more resilient.

We stay in Lewes regularly. COVID killed two or three locally owned hotels. It didn't kill Premier Inn and it didn't kill the amateur AirBnBers who use the summer season for a bit of extra income.

No - it's reduced demand = reduced cost.

Yes - increased demand because of a concert.

Yes - increased demand because of a major international event.

At most that's a local factor, despite what the Daily Mail might claim. There are about 50,000 asylum seekers in "hotel" rooms (actually more likely to be the sort of grotty "B&B" rooms used for homeless families). PI alone has more bedrooms than that - and you can bet they're being housed at 3 or 4 to the room.

Out of deference to a nonpolitical forum I won't go further...

I think you mean "one rich landowner has spoiled it for the many".

By booking ahead and being flexible it's sometimes still possible to get a decent rate. I paid £100 a few weeks ago for a Travelodge in Forest Green (a few stops from KX) and I've got a Farringdon PI in a few weeks for the same price.

One rich landowner has temporarily killed-it off for large parts of the moor, but he got ammunition from those that who felt they could rock-up in a van, party a few hundred yards from the car parks and trash the place as they saw fit. Lack of Rangers meant that this was becoming a regular occurance. Unfortunately the true wild campers who for decades hike and hide deep in the moors and leave no trace are bearing the brunt of their actions. Rogue 'wild campervanning' (for want of a better phrase) across the country has caused many local authorities to now ban Campervans overnight from a lot of places. Most of this has occurred over the last few years.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I guess what am hinting at here is the definition of 'wild', it seems OK if you can cycle somewhere remote but not if you can drive somewhere remote even if it's far from 'civilisation'. It's one of those semantic debates, we all know roughly what it means but in different contexts it means subtly different things....

Came on this on the Isle of Harris page on FB. I cannot criticise really as I never used camp sites for many years with a variety on caravans and camper vans/ motorhomes. Did not really save much as too much money was spent buying different vehicles.

A372A03C-C5B5-4B47-A405-57DB5F224246.png

Last edited:

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
At the end of the day you either pay it or if you cant find anywhere cheaper then just stay at home and go off for days etc. A few years ago we looked into getting a caravan in Filey for a week and it was actually cheaper to go to New York. We went to New York.

What, you chose New York over FILEY!!!

Top Bottom