The cost of staying away

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
He lost his job and was widely publicly humiliated as well. So I dont think he got away with it as such.

Depends on whether he had to pay it all back

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Not many people who I know that work for private companies that can get away with those kind of expenses, unless you reach a certain level of management maybe.

We buy flights as well as car hire and accomodation on our company credit cards, during our most manic periods it was not unusual to rack up over £10k/month....

The bloody expense forms took forever to fill in!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Depends on whether he had to pay it all back

He repaid £40,000 for his daughters' wedding, which itself tells you these people are in financial Neverneverland.

Still left a six-figure sum outstanding, which happily for him has been conveniently forgotten.

Hopefully, Verity is an extreme example.

What gets ,me is stuff like when taxis costing hundreds are used for long journeys which clearly could be undertaken more cost effectively by public transport, or if one of the party drove.

I found out about another incident by accident.

A tourism officer for Easington District Council - public money again - was killed in the Paddington train crash.

It turned out there were at least three others from the council on the train, and another mob had travelled by car, all for a tourism conference in London.

Easington is a small council and hardly a tourist hotspot.

One or two people could just about be justified, but seven or eight, including hotels in the expensive capital, is just a beano on the public purse.

We buy flights as well as car hire and accomodation on our company credit cards, during our most manic periods it was not unusual to rack up over £10k/month....

Puts my measly claims in the shade, although I think I missed the golden age of Fleet Street.

Even that was 'only' a few hundred a week, although most of it was in liquid form which had very little to do with doing the job.

One of my first expense claims was rejected by the deputy news editor as being too low.

Musn't let the side down.

stephec

Legendary Member

I don't have to do the overseas jobs anymore luckily, but when we did there was someone in our office who sorted all that out for us, I can't imagine that flights with a fully flexible return on a national carrier would be too cheap though.

I do remember once about 15 years ago it cost nearly £400 return from Manchester to Cork booked the day before I travelled with BA, probably just got stuck onto the final bill for the customer.

Slick

Guru
I don't have to do the overseas jobs anymore luckily, but when we did there was someone in our office who sorted all that out for us, I can't imagine that flights with a fully flexible return on a national carrier would be too cheap though.

I do remember once about 15 years ago it cost nearly £400 return from Manchester to Cork booked the day before I travelled with BA, probably just got stuck onto the final bill for the customer.

We now use a third party booking website, have done for a few years now.

I fly into London city on Monday morning, pick up a hire car and will spend the week at the salubrious premier Inn, Dartford on the meal deal.

At least I'll get a pint on that without some computerised auditor knocking back my dinner receipt because there was alcohol on it. :surrender:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'd love to spend a week in Accrington
Do you have some chavvy type clothes, such as a black puffer jacket, baggy below the knee black shorts, black socks, black NIke Trainers and a black baseball cap? If so you're Accrington holiday clothing is er 'sorted', as they say! :rolleyes:

As for me, is Somerset high class enough for me?? 🤔 :whistle:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Do you have some chavvy type clothes, such as a black puffer jacket, baggy below the knee black shorts, black socks, black NIke Trainers and a black baseball cap? If so you're Accrington holiday clothing is er 'sorted', as they say! :rolleyes:

As for me, is Somerset high class enough for me?? 🤔 :whistle:

Well I have to admit I've not seen anyone in plus fours, Norfolk jacket and deerstalker round here for a while, but think of all the new charity shops you could visit.

There'd be lots of interesting lampposts for your doggy to sniff and you'd have a new set of neighbours to enjoy 😉.

I've had a brilliant idea.

We trustworthy CC'ers could swap homes for our holidays.

I'd love to spend a week in Accrington while it's most famous resident @Accy cyclist came here. Or have @Drago and his underpants here...

I think I've spotted the flaw in my plan.

Hmm... I think I see one too. I'm not sure how the German government would react to discovering my association with certain CCers.

I don't think they can remove my citizenship, but...

Slick

Guru
On about CC members swapping homes to have a holiday. I'd Like to swap with @Slick in the blue half of Glasgow. Yes, I do fancy trying deep fried Mars bars and getting 'pisched up' every night!! :whistle: :okay:

Haha, reports of my lifestyle have been greatly exaggerated, but the blue half will welcome you with open arms Accy. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I reckon some of the less affected green half would as well though. :laugh:

Top Bottom