The cost of staying away

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
I don't have to do the overseas jobs anymore luckily, but when we did there was someone in our office who sorted all that out for us, I can't imagine that flights with a fully flexible return on a national carrier would be too cheap though.

I do remember once about 15 years ago it cost nearly £400 return from Manchester to Cork booked the day before I travelled with BA, probably just got stuck onto the final bill for the customer.

As a former regular traveller to Cyprus for work, a return ticket used to cost circ £230 around 15 years ago, via Cyprus Airways.
I seem to remember in my final trips there,£600 want unusual.

Just been booked into a Premier Inn Hotel in Kent on Weds for work, £122 for one night, plus a meal at extra cost. Extrapolate that to 7 days, over £1000 a week.

Drago

Legendary Member
On about CC members swapping homes to have a holiday. I'd Like to swap with @Slick in the blue half of Glasgow. Yes, I do fancy trying deep fried Mars bars and getting 'pisched up' every night!! :whistle: :okay:

If you visit Glasgow I'll give you a tenner if you pop into the Brazen Head, a pleasant watering hole in the Gorbals, wearing your straw boater and summer blazer, flannels and Oxfords while effecting an exaggerated posh English accent. In fact, if you get out alive I'll make it a twenty.

Slick

Guru
If you visit Glasgow I'll give you a tenner if you pop into the Brazen Head, a pleasant watering hole in the Gorbals, wearing your straw boater and summer blazer, flannels and Oxfords while effecting an exaggerated posh English accent. In fact, if you get out alive I'll make it a twenty.

Don't do it Accy, the smell in there would knock you out. :laugh:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

And when they stare in a mocking way, say "WTF are you looking at peasant"?! "Me and you outside NOW"!!!🧐 :boxing:
:whistle:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
But will he have a cemetery to visit?

No doubt there is one, but it's not the same when you don't know or remember anyone in it. 🧐

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Haha, reports of my lifestyle have been greatly exaggerated, but the blue half will welcome you with open arms Accy. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I reckon some of the less affected green half would as well though. :laugh:

I remember the 1960's/70's 'Glasgow fortnight' in Blackpool. It coincided with Blackburn's and the surrounding towns wakes weeks annual holidays. I don't think you'll be old enough to remember it Slick, but did any of your older family members travel the fair distance down to the resort in those days?

D9w1XLR_EuoXV-jMRyZZXZmy3qFgNQ?scale=1&h=200&w=652.png

3 hr 12 min (195.0 mi) via M6

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I remember the 1960's/70's 'Glasgow fortnight' in Blackpool. It coincided with Blackburn's and the surrounding towns wakes weeks annual holidays. I don't think you'll be old enough to remember it Slick, but did any of your older family members travel the fair distance down to the resort in those days?

View attachment 698109

3 hr 12 min (195.0 mi) via M6

I remember going down during fair fortnight Accy. I drive to Birmingham now once a month for a couple of meetings, and still remember the services we would stop at, which to us, was all part of the holiday. We also used to venture a tad further afield as well depending on who the Rangers were playing preseason. Mum must have loved that. :laugh:

abcd efg

Über Member
I steer clear of Premier Inn. You get fed up bumping into Lenny Henry after a while.

I have had a couple of good eperiences with Premier Inns. The latest was in York when I was there for the York Rally (which was wonderful insidently). I used the Premier Inn because of the their cycle policy allowing you to keep your bike in your room which makes dealing with the bike easy. The staff were really helpful as well.

yello

It is all greed, pure greed. The whole world is consumed by greedy corporate organisations now. It has nothing to do with supply and demand or cost of production. Making a quick profit at all costs is all that matters nowadays and it will all end badly eventually.

I know that might read like paranoia to some but imho there's an amount of truth in it. Certainly cause to take note of further warning signs. I do think the levels of civil/social disruption are on the rise, and I do think rising costs are part of the reason.... but maybe that's for another forum.

We bought a larger tent earlier this year partly because we can't now afford accommodation costs in hotels, b&b etc. A one night special occasion break maybe, but not much longer. I don't think we're alone either; people are literally spending thousands on their annual holidays and I can't see that it's sustainable, not in the current economic climate.

BTW, my own tent is fine for me (it's 2 person...) but certainly not 2 plus dog!

Top Bottom