Printer ink Vs new printer. (Plus where to get replacement cartridges)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I have a cheap HP Envy 4500 scanner/printer and use the contract ink deal from the manufacturer for £1.99/pcm
This works a treat. Can print anything I want even full size A4 colour pictures as they count pages printed so no worries about printing ink heavy stuff like you might when it is your own ink.
Genuine replacement cartridges arrive automatically in the post when your current ones are getting low and any unused pages rollover for one month so my 50ppm limit usually means I could print 80+ one month if needed.
I have been on this for a couple of years now and so impressed that I recently got the same/current version for my dad. My brother saw it and worked out the contract then immediately went out and got the same for himself.
£24 a year for genuine cartridges delivered to your door. Bargain, and much less than a replacement set.

@Dave +1 for the HP contract, I love it and wish I'd done it years ago. And don't worry about being tied in, your contract runs month to month so you can cancel at any time or upgrade/downgrade.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you print much? I too have HP monthly ink payment for my business. 50 pages a month (£2). Much cheaper than genuine cartridges. The refill non oem ones never work well for long

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Do you print much? I too have HP monthly ink payment for my business. 50 pages a month (£2). Much cheaper than genuine cartridges. The refill non oem ones never work well for long
That is the problem, now I'm retired I print very little.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Thanks for that. Problem is I use it so seldom now its just not viable.

I too seldom use the printer but use the HP contract. When I bought my printer the offer was up to 20 pages per month for free and you pay a one off charge for any additional pages. I've been doing this for around 30 months now and to date have not had to pay a single penny over the purchase price of the printer. I'm amazed every time a new cartridge shows up on my doorstep having been ordered automatically by the printer :laugh:

I would be very surprised if the free plan is still available. Certainly once you upgrade to a paid plan you cannot go back to the free contract but it is perfect for my needs so have no intention of doing so :laugh:

Here's my two pennyworth.....

I have just thrown out a Canon inkjet printer, which I ran on non-Canon cartridges for about three years. Eventually, the colour jets became so blocked that it wouldn't print in colour, and it wasn't economic to have it stripped/cleaned out/bits replaced.

When it was working, it consumed cartridges at a prodigious rate, and the colour reproduction, when it was working, was ok for general use but not good enough for photo printing, although it was supposed to be capable of this.

I have now shelled out £150+ on a Canon "ink tank" model, where you fill the printer from large bottles of liquid ink. After the first few weeks, I am very pleased. The amount of printing I have done would have surely used up at least two ink cartridges, but the level of the ink tanks has barely dropped at all. I have successfully printed photos at A4, and Mrs Salad who is a bit of a perfectionist, has approved having them framed and put up in the kitchen.

Provided nothing fails on it, this printer looks like being a good buy in the long term. About like what they used to say about diesel cars. Dearer to begin with but capable of recovering costs over the long term.

classic33

Leg End Member
Here's my two pennyworth.....

I have just thrown out a Canon inkjet printer, which I ran on non-Canon cartridges for about three years. Eventually, the colour jets became so blocked that it wouldn't print in colour, and it wasn't economic to have it stripped/cleaned out/bits replaced.
You never tried to clean it yourself?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A new printer will only come with 'starter' cartridges that will print far fewer pages than a replacement set. However, having said that if you ignore the environmental considerations and print very infrequently then a new printer maybe the way to go. Personally I have given up on inkjets and moved to a laser because I was fed up with ink drying out and clogging and clone cartridges failing at inopportune moments.

Concur on the laser recomendation. Unless you want photo quality a cheapish colour laser is the way to go for domestic printing. Ours is a brother summat or other, so a pukka brand, not too pricey and ink lasts a reasonable time. Previously with inj jets they were always gumming up and ink was brutally expensive per small amount of printing - had canon, HP and epsom and all much of a muchness on that score, albeit print quality improved over the years

was in a wilkinsons wilco the other day and they seem to sell clone type things plus kits you can supposedly fill your original cartridges with. They name the cartridges they claim are compatible on the packs.
Looked interesting - anyone used?

Top Bottom