Printer ink Vs new printer. (Plus where to get replacement cartridges)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
@Blue Hills I have in the past and they work but can be messy also you've to watch out for cartridge that are chipped they stop working after a bit. Printer makes are not silly we are the silly ones for paying way over the top in the 1st place.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Just been on their web site. £9.00 as against £70 :eek:.
I know they say "if it sounds to good to be true" but for 9 quid I will risk it

Try that for a year and see how it goes.

If I used two of your £9 ink cartridges per year I'd go for the HP Instant Ink contract because even though it will be almost £6 a year more, you have the convenience of never running out, free automatic delivery to your home before your old cartridge runs out, and the peace of mind from not screwing up your printer's warranty by using 3rd party supplies.

keithmac

Guru
I've had 3 or 4 inkjets over the years, all blocked up due to lack of use!.

I email stuff to work now if I need it printing.

Our lad has started to use the computer a lot more for school so will possibly get a laser printer this year.

If you don't print a lot an inkjet is a liability imho.

Our Library offers to print pages cheap enough as well.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It is cheaper to send a memory stick to the online printers and get a professional quality print back than it is to print them yourself, bearing in mind how expensive colour cartridges are and how much ink a single photo gobbles. If you wait till you get a decent quantity to send they can be as little as 10p a print for standard, and enlarged prints don't cost that much more.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've used refills in the past, and got the following results, print wise, on a printer that cost just over £2. I've managed to clean and reset it once, fully serviced one(Cost £75).
A4
100 N/C Blk 30 Short
9 N/C Blk

A5
200 N/C Black

A4
50 N/C Black

Printer set to "Draft", printing in black and white mainly, all full page. All cartridges checked before printing. Now looking at getting a continuous inking system for it rather than using cartridges when the current batch run out.

alicat

Legendary Member
If you do go for a laser printer, just bear in mind that they now mostly come with 'starter' toner so that you end up buying a full, expensive set of toner(s) not long after you shelled out for the printer.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I too seldom use the printer but use the HP contract. When I bought my printer the offer was up to 20 pages per month for free and you pay a one off charge for any additional pages. I've been doing this for around 30 months now and to date have not had to pay a single penny over the purchase price of the printer. I'm amazed every time a new cartridge shows up on my doorstep having been ordered automatically by the printer :laugh:

I would be very surprised if the free plan is still available. Certainly once you upgrade to a paid plan you cannot go back to the free contract but it is perfect for my needs so have no intention of doing so :laugh:
They offered me the deal but it is (i think) £1.99 a month.

vickster

Legendary Member
Here you go, @Dave7. 15 pages a month for free. Just be aware that if you upgrade to a paying option you may find it hard to downgrade to a free option later on.
Free option would appear to depend on the printer purchased (maybe the one Dave is looking at doesn't qualify)

You never tried to clean it yourself?
Yes I did. But with only partial success. It would only print black in extra fine (slow) print speed, which used more ink than normal speed, as well as being much slower. OK if I was just printing one copy of something for me, not so good if it was 50 sets of lyrics to go into our band's "singalonga" songbooks for the audience.

Top Bottom