Pro compulsion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tigger

Über Member
i think youve made a very good point tigger, as i also wear a helmet and my children do compulsion wouldnt make any difference to me at all.

Thank you, see my other new post in... erm one of the other threads! I think I understand now...

Davidc

Guru
How abot a No 10.

If it ever becomes compulsory I'll throw my helmet in the bin and carry on riding without one.

i think youve made a very good point tigger, as i also wear a helmet and my children do compulsion wouldnt make any difference to me at all.

It would. Fewer cyclists on the road - a consistent result of all enforced helmet laws - means greater risk for you and your children through the (lack of) safety in (lack of) numbers effect.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
It would. Fewer cyclists on the road - a consistent result of all enforced helmet laws - means greater risk for you and your children through the (lack of) safety in (lack of) numbers effect.

+1

An enforced helmet compulsion law would be a disaster for cyclists and cycling, regardless of whether you choose to wear a helmet or not.
The evidence is strong that the more cyclists there are, the safer, on average, they all are.
The evidence is also strong that helmet compulsion significantly reduces the number of cyclists, and discourages new cyclists.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi

maybe not if the country put efforts into improving safety for cyclists, more cycling paths, educate drivers more etc

maybe not if the country put efforts into improving safety for cyclists, more cycling paths, educate drivers more etc

Well it would be a first if it did. But it would still be a big reduction in cycling over what could have been had the education etc been done without a helmet law in place.

By the way, I know you don't do evidence but humour me. There is no evidence that cycle paths significantly increase cycling or safety and plenty that they have no effect on cycling and some detriment on safety. Sorry, just attacked another pillar of your faith no doubt. Education and training on the other hand.....

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Well it would be a first if it did. But it would still be a big reduction in cycling over what could have been had the education etc been done without a helmet law in place.

By the way, I know you don't do evidence but humour me. There is no evidence that cycle paths significantly increase cycling or safety and plenty that they have no effect on cycling and some detriment on safety. Sorry, just attacked another pillar of your faith no doubt. Education and training on the other hand.....

when did i say i didnt do evidence? or are you making even more things up about me

oh, i think you mean your evidence i consider flawed, thats not the same as not doing evidence , you do understand that dont you? or would that mean you would have to accept your arguments havnt convinced me?

when did i say i didnt do evidence? or are you making even more things up about me

oh, i think you mean your evidence i consider flawed, thats not the same as not doing evidence , you do understand that dont you? or would that mean you would have to accept your arguments havnt convinced me?

Semantics. In my book "don't do evidence" is the same as "evidence I haven't read but consider flawed nevertheless" YMMV

Dan B

Disengaged member
consider flawed
con·sid·er/kənˈsidər/Verb
1. Think carefully about (something), typically before making a decision

My italics. Yeah, I know, semantics again

con·sid·er/kənˈsidər/Verb

My italics. Yeah, I know, semantics again

What were you saying elsewhere about reading something all the way through first? ;)

2. Think about and be drawn toward (a course of action)
  3. Regard (someone or something) as having a specified quality
  4. Believe; think
  5. Take (something) into account when making an assessment or judgment
  6. Look attentively at

Compulsion is a big issue and one that is uncomfortable for many and hence wish to hide it as a subject.

Sadly this simply emphasises the reasons why compulsion should not be excluded from discussion as it is integral.

For instance lets take training. Training of cyclists would enable them to bemore competent, safer and les likely to have an accident, however the compulsion of helmets has meant in many cases a decrease in training.

The Norwich Road Safety scheme has seen a decrease in the uptake of training since they made helmets compulsory, and this has been linked by teachers to the children (and their parents) not owning or wishing to buy helmets simply to undertake training. This is most marked in the poorer income children.

So these children are now not being trained due to the compulsion... a bit silly really, the compulsion is excluding children from potentially life saving training.

Dan B

Disengaged member
What were you saying elsewhere about reading something all the way through first? ;)

2. Think about and be drawn toward (a course of action)
  3. Regard (someone or something) as having a specified quality
  4. Believe; think
  5. Take (something) into account when making an assessment or judgment
  6. Look attentively at

Yeah well. Almost all of those definitions contain synonyms for "think", so I reckon my point still stands.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Seems to me that some people dismiss evidence as "flawed" merely because it disagrees with their preexisting beliefs.

Seems to me that some people dismiss evidence as "flawed" merely because it disagrees with their preexisting beliefs.

That is quite generous. My observation is the people here dismissing the evidence as flawed have not actually read it and don't have a clue whether it is flawed or not. Saying its flawed avoids having to deal with it. When further pressed they fall back to "I prefer my views over those of silly scientists"

It would be interesting to see them react if their GP started prescribing untested drugs on the basis they believe they are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom