Pro compulsion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Medicines are another excellent example where the .......

Take this because it's good for you, and will help your condition

Forgetting to state that 10% of the patients will have a cardiac arrest and another 5% headaches and respiratory problems.

... and of course if you point this out to the patient you will be anti-health!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Medicines are another excellent example where the .......

Take this because it's good for you, and will help your condition

Forgetting to state that 10% of the patients will have a cardiac arrest and another 5% headaches and respiratory problems.

... and of course if you point this out to the patient you will be anti-health!

Utter rubbish - side effects should be carefully explained to the patient, and I have no doubt this does happen in the vast majority of cases.
All medication comes with a patient information leaflet listing all of the known side effects.

Utter rubbish - side effects should be carefully explained to the patient, and I have no doubt this does happen in the vast majority of cases.
All medication comes with a patient information leaflet listing all of the known side effects.

I am glad you have such a vast experience of the medical profession and how they prescribe drugs.

The operative word is SHOULD, but in busier and busier clinics, shorter appointment times, and greater pressure to see more patients, shortcuts are made and this is one.

The sad fact is that it IS the case.

Take "non-compliance" and you will find that the single biggest factor appears to be a failure of the prescribing doctyor to describe the drig, how to take it and the side effects

Typically in 2006 Tarn and his co-researchers taped 44 outpatient clinics and showed that:

in the taped visits, doctorsexplained an average of 3.1 out of the five instructions. The name of the drug was explained 74 percent of the time and the purpose was given 87 percent of the time, but side effects were only explained 35 percent of the time. Including the results of the patient surveys, the researchers found that physicians gave full medication dosing instructions for fewer than 60 percent of prescribed medications, and informed patients of side effects and how long to take a drug about one-third of the time.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I am glad you have such a vast experience of the medical profession and how they prescribe drugs.

The operative word is SHOULD, but in busier and busier clinics, shorter appointment times, and greater pressure to see more patients, shortcuts are made and this is one.

The sad fact is that it IS the case.

Take "non-compliance" and you will find that the single biggest factor appears to be a failure of the prescribing doctyor to describe the drig, how to take it and the side effects

Typically in 2006 Tarn and his co-researchers taped 44 outpatient clinics and showed that:

I notice that was in the US.
Do you have any UK research, as that is the area I am familiar with.

Yebbut that's a bit like the 98 pages of license agreement you have to accept before installing software. Yes you should read it before you tick Accept but how many do?

Canrider

Guru
This is merely anecdotal, but I have *never* had an NHS doctor explain side effects of prescribed medication to me. This includes meds for myself, Miss Canrider and Master Canrider. Now, I've always let it slide because I know I can a) read that leaflet, b) I'm savvy enough to have a working idea of what a corticosteroid/antibiotic/brochodilator is likely to do and c) I know I can look it up on t'Internet for myself when I get home. But no GP has *ever* tried to explain these things to me, ever.

Angela Coulter (2002)

Box 1: Relatively common prescribing errors
  • Poor compliance caused by prescribers failing to elicit patients' preferences and beliefs about medicines
  • Poor compliance caused by prescribers failing to explain why a drug is being prescribed and how it is supposed to work
  • Inappropriate drugs or dosages caused by poor communication between doctors about contraindications or adverse reactions
  • Failure to convey essential information to patients about how and when to take their drugs
  • Failure to discuss common side effects, so that patients are ill prepared to cope with these and to recognise unexpected problems
  • Errors resulting from problems occurring when medical records are transcribed (these could be avoided if patients were encouraged to check their notes)

There was a lot of work following the Bristol Heart Surgery about the relationship between patients and doctors. ALthough the inquiry itself was child elated, many of the issues were transferred to all patient care

Even if it is only a few who break these basic prescribing rules, it still happens.

Failure to give adequate information both for and against is to remove informed choice from the patient.

We often see patents who are unable to list, even name half their medications.

Some of our tests and treatments are affected by some drugs so we ask if the patient is on certain drugs. We also do cruel tings like making the patients abstain from sex!

For instance, Thyroxine affects the uptake of Iodine in radiotherapy - Over half ur patients cannot tell us whether they are on this drug or not!

The most common case (especially with the elderly) is to have a large plastic bag thrust into your hand with the statement that "these are my medications"!

However as a dark and mysterious specialty in the medical armoury my department may simply be an anomaly in this.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
This is merely anecdotal, but I have *never* had an NHS doctor explain side effects of prescribed medication to me. This includes meds for myself, Miss Canrider and Master Canrider. Now, I've always let it slide because I know I can a) read that leaflet, b) I'm savvy enough to have a working idea of what a corticosteroid/antibiotic/brochodilator is likely to do and c) I know I can look it up on t'Internet for myself when I get home. But no GP has *ever* tried to explain these things to me, ever.

That is appalling, and I would certainly complain to the practice about it.

Alun

Guru
Red Light, you have derailled this interesting thread about helmets! I think you might have done it deliberately :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom