Pro-helmet article on BBC One Show right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chutzpah

Über Member
Choice quote... "take away research and just go with common sense". Yes, that was used as an actual argument.

My opinion still hasn't changed. It's your head, make your own judgement call based on your perception of risk and the type of riding you do.

Just don't tell me what to do with my head.

NO NO NO NO :hyper:

We already have one thread advocating cycling on the pavement and another demanding that Funnymummys
friend be stoned to death and elite cycling hit squads Be sent out to take over the road system !!!!

WE DON'T NEED A CYCLING HELMET DEBATE TOO :surrender:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Yes why bother with research, just believe the sales pitch of snake oil... and get ripped off... it is only money after all, who care if they work or not, Bell Sport isn't rich enough! :rolleyes:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Beside which, this the usual pro bike stance the BBC uses to justify screening Top Gear, tell cyclist to wear helmets and then they don't need to worry about promoting bad driving!

It is about time the made every one on Top Gear wear a driving helmet after all there is a far greater risk of head injury from driving then there is from cycling...

Had me swearing at the TV Set :angry: .

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I don't wear a helmet; from personal experiences, knee and wrist/ hand protectors would be more useful in a fall. Still, I don't wear them either.

Thank god i wear one.
+1 I would prefer not to wear one, but that's just down to my own vanity :whistle: , but when I got back into cycling a number of years ago I acquiesced with SWMBO and bought a helmet.

A few months later I mis-read the terrain, over the bars I go, helmets cracked and has a large stone wedged in one of the vents, broken ribs, broken ankle, general road rash and bikes a mess. All of that's insignificant IMHO compared to if i'd not had my lid on. The crack would have been in my swede, and the large stone would have been wedged in me instead!

I'm all for personal preference, and I don't preach to anyone about helmet safety, but my personal preference is to do what I can to limit the risk of getting my head bust open like a melon, I like my brains on the inside :biggrin:

Ride safe :hello:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I saw small bits of it - I was making our dinner. It certainly initiated a lively discussion around the dinner table from the child who was vowing never to cycle without a helmet to me trying to defend choice/anti compulsion. No doubt someone will mention it to me tomorrow.

Rebel Ian

My helmet saved me on Saturday morning. I didn't lift the garage door properly and caught my helmet on the sharp corner of the garage door. It would have really hurt had I not had the helmet on.

Chutzpah

Über Member
The title doesn't say it all, was it a program about Professional cyclists and their helmets or one suggesting their benefits ? The former might be interesting, the latter sounds like the same old boring stuff; its personal choice End Of.

The latter, with:

• A lecturer who had an accident and says a helmet saved her life
  • A GP saying the research is overstated
  • Dr Ian Walker arguing saying "it's a little more complicated than that"
  • A safety trainer who says it's mad if kids don't wear them
  • James Cracknell arguing for helmets based on his experiences, saying you're selfish not to wear one
I'll leave all other opinion for now, I've giving mine already
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom