Pro Race 2 - I'm a Believer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Put a set of these on at the start of the week (a bugger to fit, incidentally).

I've ridden them for 3 rides now, and I think I'm a believer.

Mine are 700x25 (they're on my commuting/wet weather wheels) and they roll incredibly nicely, seem grippy, and generally make the bike feel as though I've lashed out money on new wheels. Absolutely superb tyres, and I see why people rave about these now.

Better resign myself to investing in another set, or Pro Race 3s - don't think I can go back to 'gatorskins now...

giant man

Lovely lovely tyres, the PR2s and the 3s. I wouldn't ride on anything else.

Don't know which rims you're putting them onto of course but I've never had any probs with fitting them.

I pulled my 'best' wheels out of their wheelbags that they've been snuggled-up in all Winter, only to find a 1cm gash straight across the tread of one when I blew them up.
I deflated it and took it off, saw it was gashed all the way through to the inside.

Rather ironic that I've been cossetting them in wheelbags all Winter when it was ruined anyway !
And irritating because they're hadly worn, not much mileage at all.

Still that's the glass-half-empty view on it - the glass-half-full view is that I did notice, I didn't just blow them up, go out and have a catastrophic front-wheel blowout whilst descending at 40mph, or 50 miles from home. And that it didn't happen last time out last year - I don't know how it happened, but it wasn't in the wheelbag, so I must have ridden it home like that.

Still, I'm now left with one almost new PR2 and a need for a new tyre to go with it.
I guess I can buy a red&black PR3 which will look identical-enough to be a matching pair, and if the PR3 is really grippier than the PR2 then I'll have it on the front.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
jayce said:
I use the pr3 and they roll like nothing ive used before and grip like a s.o.b
Agreed.

PR2's were indeed a revelation, but I found them a bit slippy in the wet and cut-up easily on glass, but a damn great to ride. PR3's are just... even better, grippier than a grippy thing (wet and dry), roll at least as well if not better, more aero on semi-aero rims (the 2's were fat for 23c) and more cut and p*ncture resistant.
Mine are coming out next week for the club season! Yeee haaaa:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Converted - well done JTM - grippy once the manufacturing chemicals are off. Don't expect mega miles out of them, but they more than make up for it with a lively responsive ride, without being harsh - and they come in nice colours (for tarts like me)

PR3's are coming down to about £25 each now.

PS PR3 and PR2 tread colour patterns are different. PR2's have colour coded centre sections, black then colour. PR3's are grey/black then coloured side walls.

Had my PR2's on both road bikes for 2 years (most miles are on my commuter) and the tyres have been great.

Joe

Über Member
Great tyres. I went for GP4000Ss instead of PR3s in a moment of tight fistedness (they were a couple of quid cheaper) and I wish I hadn't. Nothing wrong with them that I can put my finger on, but I just don't feel as confident on them as I did on my PR2s.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tynan said:
luganos, ten quid ...
Not knocking that choice at all, but the PR2 are streets ahead of any other tyre I've tried in terms of feel, and what they add to the ride.

They're genuinely like putting a better set of wheels on the bike, no joke. Having them for commuting seems a bit decadent to me still, but by god they make the bike feel nice.

beancounter

I also have Pro Race 2's on both of my "race" bikes but I have Marathon Plus on my commuter bike (because I really, really, really do not want a puncture on the way to work....)

The joy of riding on the PR2's at the weekend compared to the M+ is almost inexpressible...

bc

Top Bottom