1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pro Team

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by Tetedelacourse, 10 Aug 2007.

1. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

What do you need to set up a Pro team? Just wads of cash?

They're all businesses at present aren't they? Has an individual ever run a team in his or her own name? I understand that the main lure is advertising and to be associated with success, but theoretically could an individual have a team, or if already done, who was the last? Do any teams actually MAKE money from winnings?

Something in my dim and distant memory says Moser might have tried. or Guimard?

What triggered this was Fuzzy's post about Disco leaving the sport and me thinking that Uncle Lance might just as well set one up by himself.

2. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

IIRC I think Uncle mono-knacker part owns Disco.

3. OP
    OP
    Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

So will we see a Team Armstrong in the near future then?

4. MichaelM

MichaelM Veteran

Lynda McCartney?

5. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Why would you? Unless you have the kind of money that Roman Abramovich boasts and can treat it purely as a hobby, it would just be a large money pit and a massive head ache.

6. fuzzy29

fuzzy29 New Member

Tinkoff is more or less one bloke with a big bag of money.

7. fuzzy29

fuzzy29 New Member

They'll be sponsored by Carlsberg with the slogan "Probably the most tested riders in the world…" ;)

8. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

To answer one question, I don't think any team, no matter how successful could exist on prize money only. The money from sponsors that consider they get value from the advertising is the only way a team can survive. Now if we could only get Bill Gates interested in cycling that would be OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. chris42

chris42 New Member

Johan owns 50% and Armstrong owns 50%.
    The company is Tailwind sports.
    So Disco is really Team Armstrong already

10. Wasn't Phonak owned by Andy Wotsit, Swiss hearing-aid entrepreneur ?

11. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

I thought Andy Wotsit was an artist ?