Probable Cone and Cup adjustment?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jethro10

Über Member
Hi,
I'm a competent enough car mechanic and have built my current bike, but I've never took a wheel hub to pieces and know there are several types.

My Wife's bike had a loose rear wheel bearing - not by much, and not for long - i check regularly. I got a pair of those thin spanners and it seems like it is tapered bearings (cone and cup?) but never took it apart - too scared and didn't want to cause more problems.
I adjusted the play - and checked it under load with the skewer to make sure it wasn't too tight - seems ok now.

My problem is this, on tutorials I found, it seems like the Cone (the bit you tighten?) has a locking nut on the outside, and the frame clamps onto this with the skewer. however my wife's didn't, just seemed like a tight nut, where friction of the thread fit kept it in place. Is this Ok, or common - have I guessed how it is correctly?

The where is a www.xerowheel.com Xero Session Freeride XED-2, approx 2005, and the sites PDF's dont have a diagram of it and all parts are just a list with their own OEM part numbers.

So I'm assuming I have tapered bearings and cone nuts can be one piece with friction holding.

how have I done?

Ta
Jeff

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's likely it's cup and cone, with a locking hut - i.e.two nuts, not seen and 'single nut types', but you can get away with tightening up like this - i.e. just levering one nut. TBH, learn how to strip it down, and chuck some grease in there.

If it's a sealed cartridge, these usually have two locking nuts, some don't though, as one pre loads, and the outer nut just nips up tight.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Yes,you can get single nut cones. Nothing wrong with them except that because they are tightened up with sufficient slack to let the bearings run freely they are prone to turning when the wheel is off the bike -hence the locknut to prevent this. So you just have to be careful not to knock the cones in this situation.

One tip - tighten up the cone until there is a very small bit of play in the axle. When the Skewer is tightened firmly it will remove this play.

OP
OP
J

jethro10

Über Member
accountantpete said:
One tip - tighten up the cone until there is a very small bit of play in the axle. When the Skewer is tightened firmly it will remove this play.

thanks.
I kinda did that.
Turned bike over, took chain off and inserted wheel.
Tighten nut a little - tighten skewer - check for movement.
release wheel, tightened or slackened nut, tightened skewer
Repeat as necessary. Suprisingly little movement needed to make a big adjustment.
Got it right where there was a minute amount of play with no skewer tightened.
Jeff

Top Bottom