Probably a pointless chain stretch question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Custom24

Über Member
Erm, I seem to have opened up a rather hot and touchy subject. Genuinely didn't mean that. I was really just checking that a chain of my mileage is unusual, but not unheard of
Don't worry. It's par for the course here.

OP
OP
maxfox44

maxfox44

Has anyone tried filling those clip on chain cleaners with oil? Not to clean, but to relube. I've heard those cleaners strip all of the lube from the chain inbred.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Has anyone tried filling those clip on chain cleaners with oil? Not to clean, but to relube. I've heard those cleaners strip all of the lube from the chain inbred.
What is wrong with just dripping one drop of oil on per link? It is probably easier than faffing about with one of those devices. (I had one years back and it broke after a month or two. I din't bother to replace it.)

Reactions: gbb

MarkF

Guru
How does the drive feel compared to your bikes with less miles on their drivetrain?

Harsh compared to the Ridgeback I built up a year ago but surprisingly ok, I know it will have deteriorated but I suppose I have adjusted with it, I have never touched the drive train apart from to clean and lubricate it, which I do very often. I'll post a pic soon when it is 10 years old, the cassette & cogs are not badly worn and at least half of it's riding is on dirt trails..

[QUOTE 4639763, member: 9609"]I usually take the chain off and give it a proper clean once a week (100 mile) and I have never had any problems with the quick link, I do have the proper tool for parting them and they always give a good re assuring click when I take then apart.

I haven't been binning the old chains off at 0.6%, I have been keeping them with a view to re using them when the cassette starts to refuse to accept new chains, may be I can go through all the old chains and take them from 0.6 to 1.2% ? In theory it should work but have no idea if it will in reality. The current cassette has about 10k on it and is still looking good.[/QUOTE]
Curious system reiver. One extreme to the other. Wouldn't 1.2 threaten the chain rings? I assume you would measure to 1.2 with a steel rule or something? As i don't think there's a standard tool/checker which will do this? Thanks for the reply.

lutonloony

Über Member
SRAM
Shimano
KMC
All interchangeable.
cheers

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
SRAM
Shimano
KMC
All interchangeable.

I think I've got a bit of a bromance going on with KMC. My LBS tried to persuade me that my Campag kit required a Campag chain....at about £40 a pop. I fell for it once but after it had done a couple of thousand miles I swapped it out for the KMC "equivalent". Much tutting and sucking through teeth at the LBS.

But guess what? The KMC chain....at I think £14 a pop has performed just as well as the Campag one, as have the replacements I've had subsequently

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think I've got a bit of a bromance going on with KMC. My LBS tried to persuade me that my Campag kit required a Campag chain....at about £40 a pop. I fell for it once but after it had done a couple of thousand miles I swapped it out for the KMC "equivalent". Much tutting and sucking through teeth at the LBS.

But guess what? The KMC chain....at I think £14 a pop has performed just as well as the Campag one, as have the replacements I've had subsequently
The only Campagnolo chains that I ever used were the ones that came with the Campagnolo groupsets on 2 of my bikes. When they wore out I just switched to low- to mid-range SRAM. I have had no problems with them!

boydj

Legendary Member

I used to do this when I commuted, usually after a spell of bad weather. I used Prolink Gold, which is a very light lube and was good for cleaning the chain as well. I could never understand the reasoning for degreasing a chain when all you wanted was to get rid of the worst of the muck to prolong the life of the chain. I looked on this as an extreme version of the 'Mickle' method.

Slick

Guru
[QUOTE 4641188, member: 9609"]It is - I will never inheriting any money but if I could inheriting here genes and still be cycling every day in my 80s (me and my brother did a 15 mile 800' ascent ride with her at Christmas on a very cold day) then that would be worth more than inheriting billion pounds![/QUOTE]
Without any doubt. Good on her.

[QUOTE 4641183, member: 9609"]

I take the chain off every week and digitally measure its full 54 links length. I have got quite good at it and can measure the wear in a 25 mile ride ![/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reply reiver, but, cripes, you worry me! By the by, only 54 links?

[QUOTE 4641188, member: 9609"]It is - I will never inheriting any money but if I could inheriting here genes and still be cycling every day in my 80s (me and my brother did a 15 mile 800' ascent ride with her at Christmas on a very cold day) then that would be worth more than inheriting billion pounds![/QUOTE]
Truly wonderful. Am sure a few others on here would love to see a pic of this, but appreciate privacy concerns. All the best to you and her.

Top Bottom