Probably been asked a thousand times but....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
What's your views on listening to music whilst cycling?

I have always listened to music whilst out on my bike and will be using cycling paths/off road.
Some stretches are going to be busier than others but with due care and attention I don't see why I can't have my music on.

Thoughts?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Moved to Helmet & Headphone debates.

Get the popcorn someone............

ceejayh

Personally, as a road user (don't tend to use cycle paths) I wouldn't have anything in my ears (unless it's wax!!) as I like to hear what's coming up from behind (that didn't come out right I know :biggrin:).

Frood42

I know where my towel is
It depends, when on the roads and not going for a long ride, then no, I don't listen to music.
On a long ride, then yes I may listen to music, with one in and one out.

On canal tow paths and other shared spaces, yes I will listen to music if I fancy (depends on the route).

Ear phones in when cycling is the same as a someone driving their car with the windows closed.

Being able to hear traffic can be an advantage, but should not be relied on, a shoulder check is much better.

Your choice though.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Some seem to cope fine with music and dealing with the road, others less so. I listen to music on my commute, albeit at a fairly low volume, low enough in fact that I can even hear the whirring of the cassettes of the numerous faster cyclists behind me wishing to overtake! so hearing cars / trucks etc is never a problem - and safetly/ awareness, for me at least, is not compromised.

Each to their own really, the whole topic is probably best left at that.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
not for me personally... I prefer to hear the ambient sounds around me when out on the bike. I often listen to music as a pedestrian, but there's a part of me that worries I won't hear a car that's just mounted the pavement and is about to kill me, so I do feel a little more paranoid when i've got headphones in, even as pedestrian.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
not for me personally... I prefer to hear the ambient sounds around me when out on the bike. I often listen to music as a pedestrian, but there's a part of me that worries I won't hear a car that's just mounted the pavement and is about to kill me, so I do feel a little more paranoid when i've got headphones in, even as pedestrian.

I'd rather not hear it in that case! Ignorance is bliss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom