Problem fitting tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Down the years I have fit many new tyres to my bikes and usually I have never had to resort to using tyre levers, until recently that is. Some time ago I acquired A vintage bike and before I used it I fit a pair of new tyres, which needed
quite a bit of coaxing to get over the (Mavic) rims. At the time I put it down to using cheap tyres (Raleigh). they performed well enough though and have never punctured so no complaints there. I have recently decided to replace them & bought a pair of Shwalbe Active tyres but I am finding them almost impossible to fit without the use of levers and the application of a great deal of force, puncturing three tubes in the process on the first wheel. I had a similar problem last year while fitting a pair of Continental touring tyres to my touring bike. What I would like to know is are tyres made in a tighter fit these days and has anyone else had similar problems.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
My colleagues son had the same issue with some Schwalbe tyres and he took it to Halfords who changed them for £5 per wheel. They prized them in an inch at a time and tightly cable tied the bit that was seated before moving on the the next bit

Sharky

Guru
Judging by the number of similar threads on here, I don't think you are alone.

I have resorted to using levers at times, but usually on the 2nd refit, thumbs alone are sufficient.

Might try next time to do a first fit without inner tubes to eliminate damage to the inners, then refit properly.

Shwalbe marathons were the tightest I've used.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A wipe round the rim with some washing up liquid can make things easier...

silva

Über Member
For Schwalbes marathon plus, I first insert a lever to make room but instead of trying to add a second, I put 1 grip end of a small tong just aside it then pull it sideways. Since adding a second lever somewhat further typically damaged the tyre.

Top Bottom