Problem Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andsaw

I had this annoying noise that was coming from somewhere around the right hand pedal, it was a sort of grinding squeak with a click when i was coming from the understroke to the overstroke on the pedal, i oiled the springs on the newish spd 540's as there was a bit of rust and salt, still there, so i tightened up the seat post and seat clamp all ok, still there, damm, took chain off left it in some gunk overnight and then cleaned with a brass shoe brush and simmered in white spirit, put in oven for ten mins, spotless, put some white lightening clean ride, then i checked the crank and that was ok, still there, what the hell was it? i even tried putting the spd shoes on the other way round, looked comical pointing the wrong way, wife couldnt stop laughing, wasnt that, checked the cleats and where tight no movement at all, went on my ride yesterday and the noise got worse and then i touched my water bottle, "it stopped" i thought the bolt was loose that holds the cage, couldn't wait to get home, there it was, the metal strip that has the two bolt holes had broken right across so it was in two halves, couldn't believe it, i put the old one on and got silence on todays ride, i was beaming ear to ear, i really thought it was the bearing in the pedal that had gone, just goes to show you think it was one thing turns out to be something totally unexpected.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Creaks and noises drive me insane. I had one for months and tried everything to remove it. In the end I can't recall what caused it because it was after a whole day where I dismantled the bike and rebuilt it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
...and a bit of experience helps too. Recently out of a ride with family friends and their son's bike was squeaking... "I've heard that noise before" sez I, and yes, it was the rubber cone on the non-drive side of his rear hub.

OP
OP
andsaw

andsaw

I got a squeaking today and i thought "oh no not again", but quickly realised my chain needed lubricating, pheww, and i did that before, only did that on Sunday, don't reckon much on that white lightning stuff.

Top Bottom