Problem with jumping gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Thanks for this, very comprehensive, I will check all of these tomorrow night. I've got a Sportive on Sunday so hopefully I can make it better rather than worse ...

You are very unlikely to be able to see if the mech is out of alignment, it is certainly likely to be and you will never get optimum changing until it is aligned. Well worth the money to have it checked.

Check the cable guides under the frame at the BB are clean. I’ve had issues caused by a sticky cable, which was caused by some grot having planted itself in the cable guide. Also check that the guide is still screwed into place tightly.

si_c

Guru
Check the cable guides under the frame at the BB are clean. I’ve had issues caused by a sticky cable, which was caused by some grot having planted itself in the cable guide. Also check that the guide is still screwed into place tightly.
^^ also this, I forget about these as I've got either internal routing or friction shifters.

^^ also this, I forget about these as I've got either internal routing or friction shifters.
My internally routed bikes have still got an external cable guide, through which the cables go after emerging from the frame briefly. The rear mech cable then goes through the chain stay, and the front mech cable goes up to the mech, without going through any more frame.

Top Bottom