problem with new chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DLB

I've just fitted a new chain to my hybrid and it seems to slip as i pedal. the slip occurs at the rear mech area and causes the bike to jerk as it slips. I've no idea why this is happening - can anybody help please??

FWIW the old cahin had stretched more than the 1% on the chain wear indicator, but it was running absolutely fine. The problem only started with the new chain.

Thanks

DLB

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Sounds very much like the cassette has worn too.

A worn chain will wear a cassette, so a new chain won't fit in the teeth properly. Hence why folk suggest changing chains when at .75.

Sounds like you need a new cassette

Mortiroloboy

Wot Steve Austin said, and get yourself a parktool or similar chain checker, use it fortnightly to measure wear to your cahin, er, sorry chain;)

Joe

Über Member
Are you sure it's not just a stiff link? Worth double checking before buyinh a new cassette!

OP
OP
D

DLB

Joe said:
Are you sure it's not just a stiff link? Worth double checking before buyinh a new cassette!

yes it's definitley not a stiff link. it happens about 4 times in one revolution of the chain. New cassette ordered from cyclexpress.

Many thanks for all the comments

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
It is also worth checking your chainrings aswell, they might have worn along with the cassette. If the teeth have the shape of a sharks dorsil fin then that might have to be changed.

Top Bottom