problem with new chain

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by DLB, 3 Feb 2008.

1. DLB

DLB Senior Member

I've just fitted a new chain to my hybrid and it seems to slip as i pedal. the slip occurs at the rear mech area and causes the bike to jerk as it slips. I've no idea why this is happening - can anybody help please??

FWIW the old cahin had stretched more than the 1% on the chain wear indicator, but it was running absolutely fine. The problem only started with the new chain.

Thanks

DLB

2. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

Sounds very much like the cassette has worn too.

A worn chain will wear a cassette, so a new chain won't fit in the teeth properly. Hence why folk suggest changing chains when at .75.

Sounds like you need a new cassette

3. Mortiroloboy

Mortiroloboy New Member

Wot Steve Austin said, and get yourself a parktool or similar chain checker, use it fortnightly to measure wear to your cahin, er, sorry chain;)

4. OP
    OP
    DLB

DLB Senior Member

thanks for those comments. i'll get a new cassette asap

5. OP
    OP
    DLB

DLB Senior Member

6. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

As far as I am aware, 7 and 8 speed chains are interchangeable.

7. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Road and MTB cassettes are interchangeable

8. Joe

Joe Über Member

Are you sure it's not just a stiff link? Worth double checking before buyinh a new cassette!

9. OP
    OP
    DLB

DLB Senior Member

yes it's definitley not a stiff link. it happens about 4 times in one revolution of the chain. New cassette ordered from cyclexpress.

Many thanks for all the comments

10. Paulus

Paulus Getting older by the minute

It is also worth checking your chainrings aswell, they might have worn along with the cassette. If the teeth have the shape of a sharks dorsil fin then that might have to be changed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice