Problem with Schwalbe tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

john xyz

Just purchased a pair of the Land Cruiser tyres, and have problem that occurred with another set of Schwalbe tyres I had 2 years ago. They are 26x1.90

When the tyre is fitted, one part dips slightly in towards the rim of the wheel, and whilst you can't necessaarily feel a problem - you can notice the dip and it looks like a slight buckle as the wheel goes around. This is front and back. I have had 2 other brands of tyres on which don't do this.

The first set of Schwalbe I had 2 years ago , I assumed to be faulty as they had been delivered folded up. (Interestingly they were ok on my sons bike.) Prior to these, I had Moto DMR tyres, no problem at all.

This is very bizarre - can anyone offer any solutions? Looks like I'll just get anything other than this brand. Thanks.!

Are your tyres at the right pressure any deformation due to folding (any brand) should dissappear then.

tyred

Legendary Member
The tyres aren't seated properly on the rim. Can be a bit of a bugger to sort out I'm afraid.

Take it off and put some washing up liquid on your fingers and rub it around the bead of the tyre on both sides. This will help it slip into position when you put it back on again. Check the rim tape isn't sitting on the beading of the rim where the tyre is supposed to sit.

Over inflate it and chances are it will pop into place. As you are pumping keep an eye on it and look for the low spots/high spots and try and pull it into position. A few spare toe straps can be useful to keep it in place.

It can take a lot of messing about to sort this out and in the case of the Vittoria Randonneur tyre I tried to fit to my Viscount, I gave up on it as it wouldn't fit the rim properly no matter what I tried yet it fitted a different 700c rim without a problem.

The side wall says 65 max.
65psi might sort it but I doubt that 5psi will make a difference could be wrong though; iirc when I've had occasionsnally had tyre problems before I've inflated and deflated and inflated them a couple of times and maybe pushed the wall in/ valve and that has sorted out the seating problems; Ive never had a tyre that can take less than 85psi though and I've no experience of lower pressure tyres (other than car).

tyred

Legendary Member
A tyre that wide wouldn't need to be pumped up to anything like 85psi. However, I would do so here to pop it into place and then let some air out of it again.

A tyre that wide wouldn't need to be pumped up to anything like 85psi. However, I would do so here to pop it into place and then let some air out of it again.
Agreed but If the rims old I wouldn't do it for long and if its really old I wouldn't do it at all but maybe I'm being too cautious :blush:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yawn.... take the tyre off and sprinkle talc liberally all over the bead and rim, then refit carefully, pulling the tyre into position as you pump it up.

Top Bottom