problem with sturmey archer 3 speed not engaging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tharg2007

Veteran
Anyone have any pointers for this issue.

Problem is with the 2nd gear, when switched to it the crank just spins freely as the gear hasn't engaged. Gear 1 and 3 are fine.

Thanks in advance.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I trust you've set the adjustment correctly?

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
thats great, thanks, its probably the adjustment to be honest as I havent touched it since I bought it, probably just needs tweeking.

tyred

Legendary Member
Have a look at Sheldon's guide to servicing the Raleigh 3-Speed. His method is different to what SA recommended and I find it works better.

http://sheldonbrown.com/english-3.html#sturmey

If it is more serious, I would just swap the innards out of another hub into yours and keep the same wheel. I did this on my Rudge so I could have the more modern splined driver and it is very easy to do.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My wife's does this occasionally - just twist the wee knurled nut on the wee chain that goes right into the middle. You probably need to tighten it a bit. Repeat as necessary.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
starting point for the indicator chain is to finger strength tighten then back off half a turn. I had a problem first time I too wheel out and popped in to LBS, it took Steve about 15 seconds to sort

C

chillyuk

For a three speed, place the gear selector in 2nd gear (no.2 or the middle one) and at the gear end the metal rod that the little indicator chain connects to inside the gear hub should be flush with the end of the wheel axle. If not adjust by tightening or loosening the screw connector to the gear cable.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
do not ride until adjusted correctly as it can really bugger it up. check it regularly. takes approx 30 secs to check.

Top Bottom