Problems on the TransPennine Trail near Conisborough

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
Excellent muddy ride yesterday from Worsborough to Sprotborough and back. Wife and one of the kids joined me and a cycling buddy and we had a great day. Mostly.

Around Conisborough area there are some hidden wooden rails in the middle bump between the two paths. My buddy hit them first but stayed upright - he said it was like it was an old railway and his wheel caught it at a shallow angle and almost took the bike from under him. Getting off to look there are wooden planks about 1" wide buried in the middle bump but sticking out by a few inches. The grass and mud hides them in most places. My son then commented they had almost got him in the same way a few weeks ago.

A few hundred yards further on they got me good and proper. I switched tracks to avoid a tree, the middle looked totally smooth but the bike went sideways and I landed hard on my left kneecap. Hopefully nothing too serious as I cycled 20 miles after that, but it 'popped' in the night and hurt like f@&k so I'm off to the hospital for a checkup.

On the way back from Sprotborough we found another cyclist on the side of the same part of the trail with blood pouring out of his knee and a buckled wheel. He was ok and the wheel was just rideable enough to get him home, but exactly the same had happened to him.

I'm writing to the TPT site now to let them know about the danger.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
These are the rails which cause the problem. In most places they are completely hidden.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1342949193.146282.jpg

Soltydog

Legendary Member
thats the spot where I fell off year before last & cracked a rib :cry: . My & i friend were on each side, but an oncoming cyclist meant I had to cross to other track. I thought i had just slipped on the mud, never noticed the wooden rails, but that would make more sense

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
thats the spot where I fell off year before last & cracked a rib :cry: . My & i friend were on each side, but an oncoming cyclist meant I had to cross to other track. I thought i had just slipped on the mud, never noticed the wooden rails, but that would make more sense

Could you mail transpenninetrail@barnsley.gov.uk and add your story. I've made it clear I'm simply looking to get a danger removed, not complaining.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Good news from the hospital is that the patella isn't cracked.

Bad news is the ligaments are sprained and doc recommends I'm off the bike for 4 to 6 weeks. Can't do that - I'm doing a charity ride of the TPT coast to coast 215 miles at the end of August. Hoping it's not that bad but at the very least it's a dent in the training.

IIRC from my tour on this trail, this area is divided with separate trails for cyclist / pedestrian and one for horses. I think this is the dividing "central reservation"

Does not excuse, but does explain.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Could you mail transpenninetrail@barnsley.gov.uk and add your story. I've made it clear I'm simply looking to get a danger removed, not complaining.

Done. Likewise I've stressed I'm not complaining but the danger needs addressing

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
What a mess; that trail needs a few Land Rovers along it to flatten it out.

It's quite rideable, with puddles and some mud for sure. To be expected given the amount of rain we've had. I'm not worried by the mud and rain, but those wooden rails are downright dangerous.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Positive update. Email received this morning.

Dear Mick

I have been forwarded your email to the Trans Pennine Trail Office. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. I have arranged a site meeting with one of our highway engineers to look at the problem and will carry out any necessary work to improve the situation.

Regards

Andy Carnall

Rights of Way Officer - Development

Doncaster Council
Regeneration and Environment
Highways and Transportation
Public Rights of Way
Scarborough House
25 Chequer Road
Doncaster
DN1 2DB

01302 734586

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Really pleased with this. They are taking the problem seriously, have found where I referred them to and are organising a mini project to sort it out. Good on them.

IIRC from my tour on this trail, this area is divided with separate trails for cyclist / pedestrian and one for horses. I think this is the dividing "central reservation"

Does not excuse, but does explain.
I'll check but saw no signs

They are indeed, the horse side is very underused and sometimes blocked by undergrowth and there are signs occasionally but not many. They'd be better off ripping them all up.

A better solution I've seen on other parts of the trail is 2/3 of the width is a good surface, hard and nothing like this muddy section. The rest is left fallow for MTB's and horse's to enjoy.

Get well soon!

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Regretfully, the danger on the TPT still hasn't been removed. I'm following up. My email to TPT below.

Hi Andy

August bank holiday weekend a group of us did the TPT coast to coast 215 miles over 4 days for charity.

The bad news is that these damned bike-traps are still in place and still causing injuries. I warned several people on the way and spoke to FIVE cyclists who told me they'd been caught out in exactly the same way.

If the engineering work is going to take some time to organise, can we at least get signs up warning to take care if switching tracks?

The injuries caused are not slight either. I'm waiting for the MRI scan results to confirm but my consultant believes I've snapped my posterior cruceate ligament and will need reconstructive surgery. I'll be out of action for a few months.

An update would be appreciated. I simply want to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else. I'd hate to have to threaten legal action to make it happen

Top Bottom