Problems with cramp - Fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Thought I'd share this, as someone may benefit from my experience.

I've been cycling more seriously for around 3 years, and seen my general fitness and health increase over that time. In July last year I did a charity ride in North Yorkshire so it was quite hilly.
Around 20 miles in I started to get twinges in my thighs, which developed into severe cramps on the next climb.
the rest of the 60 mile ride was miserable, with me trying to manage the problem and complete the course.
Subsequent rides last year saw the problem surface on every ride, sometimes starting as early as 12 miles.
It was always cramps in both abductors, with no other muscles affected.

Went to the doctor. He had my shoes and socks off and checked the pulse in my feet, and told my I have bounding pulses in both feet, which indicates good circulation apparently. He referred me to a consultant for a full vascular check.
Went to the consultant. He had my shoes and socks off and checked the pulse in my feet, and told my I have palpitating pulses in both feet, which indicates good circulation apparently. I told him that the doctor had already done this, but he told me that there's nothing wrong with me and discharged me.
Went back to the doctor, who apologised about the consultant, then ordered blood tests and an MRI scan on my pelvic and sacral regions.

Meanwhile:
Although I have been certain that my riding position has been correct, Mrs OFT persuaded me to get a proper bike fit done.
I made an appointment for a session with Chris at All Terrain Cycles in Saltaire.
He took some measurements with me pedalling the bike, and moved my saddle 0.5" down and 0.5" forward. This had the effect of increasing the bend at my knee from 30 to 35 degrees.
He charged me £30 for a saddle fit.

Each subsequent ride has seen a diminishing of the cramps.
A week ago I managed a 50 mile ride with 4000' climbed with no ill effects. In fact I was strongest in the last 15 miles with 27 segment PRs, even though I wasn't actually trying!

I feel confident now to join some forum rides again :cheers:

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's great news - I was worried that you had some ghastly underlying vascular problem!

Had you changed your position on the bike in the past year or so? (It just seems weird that the problem suddenly manifested itself!)

Anyway, I hope to be doing some more rides with you this year then. :smile:

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
That's great news - I was worried that you had some ghastly underlying vascular problem!

Had you changed your position on the bike in the past year or so? (It just seems weird that the problem suddenly manifested itself!)

Anyway, I hope to be doing some more rides with you this year then. :smile:

I hadn't changed anything on the bike, so it puzzled me too. The only thing that changed was me adopting a healthier diet, courtesy of Mrs OFT and Slimming World. I've been eating the same stuff as her - I couldn't see the point in us preparing two different meals, and the SW recipes are really tasty and plentiful anyway. I lost a stone in weight over 12 months. I can't see any reason why that would cause cramping tbh :scratch:

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
An update :smile:

Last Sunday I got an all day pass out approved by the Management, having done my share in the garden on Saturday.
I had a poke around on RideWithGPS and found a quite testing route to have a go at.
Just over 50 mile loop with around 4000' ascent, however the route starts and ends in Clitheroe so I'd have to ride over Pendle hill first, adding a bit to both figures at each end.
I had a great day, mostly on back lanes with no traffic, cycling roads I didn't know before, in wonderful sunny weather.
There were quite a few testing climbs, which I managed to conquer without the spectre of cramps.
I had a bit of an issue with hot spots on the balls of the feet at around 35 miles. I managed to ease those by soaking my feet in a cooling rocky stream, which felt wonderful. It happened again at around 50 miles so repeated the cold stream cure. Maybe I need to investigate some new road shoes.
I made it back home but there was nothing much left in the tank by that time!
The ride totalled 69.05 miles with 6614' ascending.

At rocky stream number one I paused my TomTom watch, but on setting off again I pressed the button the wrong way and terminated the ride instead of resuming. That's why the ride is split in two below:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1553885397

https://www.strava.com/activities/1553885677

To say that I was pleased with my days riding is an understatement, considering that a couple of months ago I struggled to ride more than 20 miles.
I think I have to put this improvement down to the small changes in my riding position. Who'da thunk it?
Thanks again go to Chris at All Terrain Cycles :cheers:

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Results from my recent MRI scan just received.
Apparently I have three bulging discs in my lower back which could be impinging some nerves. May or may not be a contributory factor.
In light of my improvement of late It's not something which needs immediate attention, so just carry on and be mindful of it according to Doc.

Top Bottom