Problems with resistance on Bkool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
Long shot here, but thought I'd try to see if anyone who knows Bkool can give some advice.

I bought a Wattbike Atom last year, mainly cause there's multiple people in the house who want to use it and it's also very difficult for me to keep moving my road bike up and down the stairs (only place for trainer is upstairs, bike has to be stored in garage rest of time), meaning a standard smart trainer wasn't a realistic option.

Had a lot of fun on Zwift with it over the winter/spring - sure, the gear change delays aren't great, but you get used to them surprisingly quickly (plus I don't do much racing, so probably don't notice it as much), but during the summer, I've put my subscription on hold and just use the free 25km each month for a one off blast.

As it turns out, I've already used my Zwift allowance for September and my road bike is now in the LBS for a service, so thought I'd give Bkool a go on their 7 day free trial. It all seemed to go quite well - Bkool found the bike without problem via ANT+, allowed me to pair it, and I started riding a test 3D course. However I did not notice the resistance changing while going up/down hills - still was able to get everything else working; power and cadence figures looked about right, so finished the ride as planned.

Went back to the options and double checked that it was picking up the Wattbike as a controllable device - it said that it was. In fact it found three items, the Wattbike itself, a speed/cadence sensor and a power meter. I re-selected the Wattbike and speed/cadence sensor (if I chose the power meter, it automatically deselected the Wattbike and reported that I was now using a non-controllable device).

Tried a different course, but same issue - resistance never changed. ERG mode isn't on as far as I can see, tried to check all the other options to make sure I haven't set something incorrectly like an equivalent to the trainer difficulty in Zwift (found a setting called Slope Reduction, but this was set to zero), but found nothing obvious.

It's not the end of the world - chances are I'm only going to use it for these 7 days and if I have to do it as though I'm on a dumb trainer, then so be it. But I would like to *try* and get it working if possible.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Long shot here, but thought I'd try to see if anyone who knows Bkool can give some advice.

I bought a Wattbike Atom last year, mainly cause there's multiple people in the house who want to use it and it's also very difficult for me to keep moving my road bike up and down the stairs (only place for trainer is upstairs, bike has to be stored in garage rest of time), meaning a standard smart trainer wasn't a realistic option.

Had a lot of fun on Zwift with it over the winter/spring - sure, the gear change delays aren't great, but you get used to them surprisingly quickly (plus I don't do much racing, so probably don't notice it as much), but during the summer, I've put my subscription on hold and just use the free 25km each month for a one off blast.

As it turns out, I've already used my Zwift allowance for September and my road bike is now in the LBS for a service, so thought I'd give Bkool a go on their 7 day free trial. It all seemed to go quite well - Bkool found the bike without problem via ANT+, allowed me to pair it, and I started riding a test 3D course. However I did not notice the resistance changing while going up/down hills - still was able to get everything else working; power and cadence figures looked about right, so finished the ride as planned.

Went back to the options and double checked that it was picking up the Wattbike as a controllable device - it said that it was. In fact it found three items, the Wattbike itself, a speed/cadence sensor and a power meter. I re-selected the Wattbike and speed/cadence sensor (if I chose the power meter, it automatically deselected the Wattbike and reported that I was now using a non-controllable device).

Tried a different course, but same issue - resistance never changed. ERG mode isn't on as far as I can see, tried to check all the other options to make sure I haven't set something incorrectly like an equivalent to the trainer difficulty in Zwift (found a setting called Slope Reduction, but this was set to zero), but found nothing obvious.

It's not the end of the world - chances are I'm only going to use it for these 7 days and if I have to do it as though I'm on a dumb trainer, then so be it. But I would like to *try* and get it working if possible.
My guess is BKool haven't put the effort in to integrate the watt Bike to their platform. They are well known for favouring and focusing on their own trainers to the detriment of other makes. @TurboTommy may know more as he had a Watt Bike Atom but not sure if he ever tried it on Bkool.

OP
OP
steverob

steverob

Guru
Don't know how, but I've managed to get it working now!

Unfortunately I only realised after I'd picked a route where it turns out someone should have smoothed out the elevation before uploading it - constant changes every few metres from +5% to -6%, then back to +4% etc., when it probably just should have been a fairly flat piece of road overall.

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
Don't know how, but I've managed to get it working now!

Unfortunately I only realised after I'd picked a route where it turns out someone should have smoothed out the elevation before uploading it - constant changes every few metres from +5% to -6%, then back to +4% etc., when it probably just should have been a fairly flat piece of road overall.

Did one of them last night.. turned out to be a good workout.. legs are sore today.. :B)

OP
OP
steverob

steverob

Guru
Did one of them last night.. turned out to be a good workout.. legs are sore today.. :B)
Definitely a shock to the system how hard a route like that can be on the legs - one minute you're at 85rpm, then the next you're suddenly grinding at 50 and by the time you've even thought about changing gear, you find yourself spinning wildly at over 100!

Ended up quitting that route after just 8 miles and rode a Richmond Park route instead, which was interesting as it was my first experience with a video ride. At one point the riders on the screen were approaching a roundabout with a car coming from their right - I instinctively stopped pedalling in order to slow down so I could make sure the car had passed by the time I got there! Didn't make that mistake the second time...

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Snip

Ended up quitting that route after just 8 miles and rode a Richmond Park route instead, which was interesting as it was my first experience with a video ride. At one point the riders on the screen were approaching a roundabout with a car coming from their right - I instinctively stopped pedalling in order to slow down so I could make sure the car had passed by the time I got there! Didn't make that mistake the second time...
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
There a session I do as a warm down that has a white van appear about 6km from the end in the video. No matter how hard I try I never catch it :whistle:

https://www.bkool.com/profile/detail/133952?durationType=DISTANCE&lapCount=1

Whorty

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
I like the climbs like Alpe, where you are overtaking all the other cyclists up the hill (just don't look at how slow their legs are rotating!)
It's the soulor and the aubisque for me tonight ... I have an incipient cold so I'm not going to be lighting up the road :smile: Does phenylephrine require a TUE??

Last edited:

HaydnD

Hi folks
I’ve just got a BKOOL Smart Go. Been though most of the same trials and tribulations as others.
Using BKOOL Indoor things are good. Nice rides around Richmond Park are very realistic as have done same circuit for real!
If I’m riding against other BKOOL users on the simulator we are all on a level playing field, but when go to third part apps Zwift and Trainer Road then especially on uphills the Watts that BKOOL shows are significantly less than when also use Stages for power. So having to try and knock out about 40 watts more to match those on other ‘smarter’ trainers. Any suggestions for how to compensate, some have suggested exaggerating body weight.

Whorty

Hi folks
I’ve just got a BKOOL Smart Go. Been though most of the same trials and tribulations as others.
Using BKOOL Indoor things are good. Nice rides around Richmond Park are very realistic as have done same circuit for real!
If I’m riding against other BKOOL users on the simulator we are all on a level playing field, but when go to third part apps Zwift and Trainer Road then especially on uphills the Watts that BKOOL shows are significantly less than when also use Stages for power. So having to try and knock out about 40 watts more to match those on other ‘smarter’ trainers. Any suggestions for how to compensate, some have suggested exaggerating body weight.
Hi @HadynD, welcome :okay: Interesting that you say your Bkool trainer is showing less watts on Zwift compared to your Stages as everyone else who posts usually says their Bkool exagerates watts by 10-15%. I don't think anyone before has experienced the Bkool trainers under reporting watts! When I had my Pro I was a B Cat rider in Zwift with an FTP of 285, now with my Kickr I'm an average C cat rider with an FTP of 250.

One trick that sometimes works is, once on Zwift, turn your trainer off then on again; this can result the resistance so it's more accurate. It could be worth a go :okay: Be interested what this then shows compared to your Stages.

Alex1982

Bkool problem for me yesterday

I have the pro smart trainer and wasn’t getting any resistance in zwift, just riding or doing a workout

I have had to replace the plug as the original plug was damaged- could this be the reason as it’s a low wattage plug

Is there anything I can do to try and resolve the problem? Or is the trainer knackered

Top Bottom