problems with trek madone cable s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TAV

Guru
Hi ive put new cables on my rear brake I threaded it through ok but when I pull the brake the calipers don't release properly it seems to be the outer cable.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Disconnect the inner cable from the brake calliper and then hold the cable taut where it was connected to the brake. Pull the brake lever and then release it while still pulling on the cable. This will tell you if the cable is sticking or not. If it is sticking, the first thing to check is the outer cable ends as when these are cut they can collapse inwards which in effect restricts the inner cable movement. If the cut ends of the outer are perfectly round that can be excluded as the cause. If the cable is still sticking, I would then remove it from the outer and check the entire length. If no faults found reinsert into the outer but ensure it is well oiled as you insert it. If doing this has not revealed a problem, check the brake calliper. Squeeze both brake blocks in towards the rim and then release. When squeezing inwards there should be a good amount of resistance and as soon as you release it the caliper should spring back away from the rim. If it does not do this, the calliper may be dirty and need cleaning and re lubing or the spring could be damaged or not correctly located.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
It seems as if its the outer cable that runs from the lever to the first housing on the frame theres no ferrule at the end of the cable that goes into the frame,i put a ferrule on the cable but its to big for the hole in the frame.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Often not space for a ferrule, they are designed to stop the brake cable unwinding (brake cable outer are coiled like a spring - gear outer cables run the length of the outer) consequently if the cable outer is inserted into a frame opening the frame opening acts as the ferrule. My guess is this is not relevant to the problem you're having.

Top Bottom