Products with badly chosen names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
A butcher in Beaminster.
Purveyor of stolen meat products? :laugh:

Profpointy

Legendary Member

I had an American guy in my team and he really couldn't bring himself to say the word in our canteen when they were on the menu. Incidentally faggots day was very much a treat, as of course was spotted dick.

As an aside why are proper puddings from a basic staff canteen so much better than a posh desert in a swanky restaurant?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
There's thr famous Wayne Kerr, a manufacturer of electronic test gear.

Even worse, its a made up name, comprised of the founders parents surnames, or somesuch. So bad enough to be a w*****, but to go put of your way to choose to be one seems mad.

I too have used their kit, and we did of course snigger like schoolboys. I assume they're American and they simply don't use the word and it means nothing to them. Just like fag and faggot over here being inoffensive even if we are nominally aware of the American meaning

C R

Guru
When Chevrolet tried to sell the Nova small sedan in S America, no one bought it until they called it a Caribe. No va in Spanish means it doesn't go.
That's most likely an urban myth. I am a native Spanish speaker, and I first heard of that association in the UK in the story you relate. To give you a worse example, the mitsubishi pajero was sold with that name in Spain, even though pajero is slang for w*nker.

figbat

Slippery scientist
That's most likely an urban myth. I am a native Spanish speaker, and I first heard of that association in the UK in the story you relate. To give you a worse example, the mitsubishi pajero was sold with that name in Spain, even though pajero is slang for w*nker.
And the Ford Pinto - Brazilian slang for pecker.

PapaZita

Guru
I too have used their kit, and we did of course snigger like schoolboys. I assume they're American and they simply don't use the word and it means nothing to them. Just like fag and faggot over here being inoffensive even if we are nominally aware of the American meaning

They’re actually a British company, based in Bognor Regis. According to their web site they were founded in London in 1946 by two ex-BBC engineers. “The company was named after their favourite actor and actress, Naunton Wayne and Deborah Kerr.”

DRM

Guru
The Toyota MR-2 was renamed in France, due to the French pronunciation sounding like the the word Merde, they didn’t think it a suitable name for some reason :laugh:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I remember buying my daughter, one those three-wheeler scooter things called a Y-Flicker

It got a bit embarrassing if someone asked what you had bought your kids for Xmas, especially when they added "surely that's for the Missus?"

Top Bottom