Products with badly chosen names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShooglyDougie

Veteran
Screenshot_20211125_215513_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

This made me laugh :laugh::laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
My Uncle had one that did, the 1750 Vandem Plas version
To be fair, mine was a 1500 model and did go reasonably well. Under the bonnet, there was so much room, that DIY was easy. I even managed to change the clutch, without having to take the engine out.
I had the 1750HL, twin carbs, it was a bit of a wreck but it went well, did what it needed to do, didn't break down...for me, it was an ok car.
Despite all the negative connotations with Leyland, BL etc...i always was a follower so i'm a little biased
Minis, Morris 1300, Marina, Allegro...once you knew the flaws, you just kinda got on with it, found fixes, lived with ever impending rust. Most of this in my case was driven by neccessity in fairness.

gbb

Legendary Member
There is a large box of washing powder sat in my house, it could be Persil or any of the others...across the flip up lid it states (in big bold letters...
USE LESS
Everytime i see it i see
USELESS :laugh:

byegad

Legendary Member
I had a Vauxhall Nova, It had the bigger engine and was quite brisk on the road. Apparently they didn't sell well to Spanish speakers.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
British Leyland rebranded their Marina the Ital. Not a good idea given that Italian cars had a worse reputation for reliability and rusting than British ones.

There was a somewhat desperate ad for the Ital, showing several of them bursting out of a hangar doorway at speed, as if they were some kind of high performance car. A colleague had a Marina - it had a number of grease points with a handbook schedule for weekly and monthly maintenance that even at the time was a throwback to an earlier age.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
To give you a worse example, the mitsubishi pajero was sold with that name in Spain, even though pajero is slang for w*nker.
... which is why my late brother managed to buy one for a bargain price in Antigua after they mysteriously failed to sell in Mexico.

Chris S

Legendary Member
There was a somewhat desperate ad for the Ital, showing several of them bursting out of a hangar doorway at speed, as if they were some kind of high performance car. A colleague had a Marina - it had a number of grease points with a handbook schedule for weekly and monthly maintenance that even at the time was a throwback to an earlier age.
That's because they were basically a rebodied Morris Minor.
Rover 100s (Metros) also had grease points until they ceased production in 1997.

C R

Guru
... which is why my late brother managed to buy one for a bargain price in Antigua after they mysteriously failed to sell in Mexico.
Even the pajero thing didn't come up that much, as the word has other uses different from the slang. I get the impression that the sniggering at double entendres is an issue in English speaking countries, not so much elsewhere.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I replaced the front shocks on mine - I remember they were like door closers! ( moggy minor parts)

Says a lot for the British car industry at the time that the Mk1 Golf had been out for several years before the Ital launched and the Mk2 Golf was out before Ital production ended. The Golfs made everything from UK production look like clown cars.

Top Bottom