Progressive Rock Top Trumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As far as keyboard players go, how does stabbing them with knives (Keith Emerson, I'm looking at you) compare with the Rick Wakeman 'Why have one keyboard when you can have 15?' approach?
I went to see ELP play at the New Street Odeon in Birmingham in the 1970s. Afterwards, I went to a local chippy to buy curry sauce and chips (as you do) and ate a huge pickled onion in the queue while I was waiting for the chips to cook.

The pickling vinegar was particularly strong, so being nowt but a silly teenager at the time, I started stamping my feet, slapping my cheeks and groaning in an ostentatious fashion.

The next thing, the human equivalent of a Jack Russell hurtled into my field of vision from below and headbutted me on the nose. A Brummie midget had taken exception to my display of teen idiocy and had decided to teach me a lesson on behalf of his fellow citizens. After the assault, he apparently finally realised that I was about a foot taller than him and legged it outside.

There was real potential for trouble! I wasn't happy about having my nose redecorated before my chips had even been served so I decided to go and have a chat with my assailant. My friends were trying to hold me back, and the midget's undersized mates (all about 6 inches shorter than me) were standing in front of their friend, who seemed to be feeling the cold. Well, for some reason he was shaking as I walked up to him. I walked round his friends, looked down into his eyes and said ...

"Do you smoke?"

"Eh?"

"Would you like a cigarette?"

He looked nervous, but stretched out his hand and took one of my B&Hs. We lit up.

"So, do you attack all visitors to your fair city, or did you think that I was especially worthy of your attention tonight?"

"Yeah, well, you're a twat!" he suggested, in a wavering voice that cried out for affirmation.

"Of course I'm a twat ..." I replied "... but I'm a nice twat, and you weren't very nice to me, were you! See, my nose is bleeding and it's all your fault! What do you say?"

"I'm sorry."

"Louder!"

"I'm sorry!"

I patted him on the top of the head and gave him a another cigarette 'for Ron' ...

"Don't do it again!"

I turned round and walked back inside to get my chips.

The 2012 version - "Teen stabbed in leg by midget in chip shop brawl!" :tongue:

Doseone

Guru
As far as keyboard players go, how does stabbing them with knives (Keith Emerson, I'm looking at you) compare with the Rick Wakeman 'Why have one keyboard when you can have 15?' approach?
Don't even get me started on Asia and Geoff Downes. 28 keyboards FFS!!!

We used to argue in school who was better Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman. I was in a minority of one but always thought Emerson was better. FWIW Wakeman went to Drayton Manor Grammer school in Hanwell, I know that 'cos he was in my aunt's class:rolleyes: I also thought Tony Banks was the business, but Prog is not short of good keyboard players.

I went to see ELP play at the New Street Odeon in Birmingham in the 1970s. Afterwards, I went to a local chippy to buy curry sauce and chips (as you do) and ate a huge pickled onion in the queue while I was waiting for the chips to cook.

The pickling vinegar was particularly strong, so being nowt but a silly teenager at the time, I started stamping my feet, slapping my cheeks and groaning in an ostentatious fashion.

The next thing, the human equivalent of a Jack Russell hurtled into my field of vision from below and headbutted me on the nose. A Brummie midget had taken exception to my display of teen idiocy and had decided to teach me a lesson on behalf of his fellow citizens. After the assault, he apparently finally realised that I was about a foot taller than him and legged it outside.

There was real potential for trouble! I wasn't happy about having my nose redecorated before my chips had even been served so I decided to go and have a chat with my assailant. My friends were trying to hold me back, and the midget's undersized mates (all about 6 inches shorter than me) were standing in front of their friend, who seemed to be feeling the cold. Well, for some reason he was shaking as I walked up to him. I walked round his friends, looked down into his eyes and said ...

"Do you smoke?"

"Eh?"

"Would you like a cigarette?"

He looked nervous, but stretched out his hand and took one of my B&Hs. We lit up.

"So, do you attack all visitors to your fair city, or did you think that I was especially worthy of your attention tonight?"

"Yeah, well, you're a twat!" he suggested, in a wavering voice that cried out for affirmation.

"Of course I'm a twat ..." I replied "... but I'm a nice twat, and you weren't very nice to me, were you! See, my nose is bleeding and it's all your fault! What do you say?"

"I'm sorry."

"Louder!"

"I'm sorry!"

I patted him on the top of the head and gave him a another cigarette 'for Ron' ...

"Don't do it again!"

I turned round and walked back inside to get my chips.

The 2012 version - "Teen stabbed in leg by midget in chip shop brawl!" :tongue:

That's a brilliant story. I'm well jealous that you saw ELP - I never got to see ELP:sad:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I'm surprised that Caravan haven't had a mention so far on this thread. Their Land of the Grey and Pink album, while probably being classified as prog, IMO transcends all boundaries as does all excellent music.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm surprised that Caravan haven't had a mention so far on this thread. Their Land of the Grey and Pink album, while probably being classified as prog, IMO transcends all boundaries as does all excellent music.

they're in the top 30.

And yes, Land of Grey & Pink, a wonderful album with an equally wonderful cover

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I am watching BBC4 ProgRock night...what a lot of pretentious cock!! ut within this was some good stuff...probably by accident.

Edit - and a high number of middle class chaps and chapesses.

i think pop music (all genres) is mostly middle class.

There was an article last year in some rag moaning that too many of today's 'stars' are middle class, having attended public schools... but this is noting new.

If you wanna be a pop/rock star, mummy and daddy have to have lots of money... or... be already working in the music industry

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm surprised that Camel has not had a mention.

I'm surprised that I did not spot that Camel had a mention. :thumbsup:

ColinJ

We used to argue in school who was better Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman. I was in a minority of one but always thought Emerson was better. FWIW Wakeman went to Drayton Manor Grammer school in Hanwell, I know that 'cos he was in my aunt's class:rolleyes:
Keith Emerson was born in Todmorden, just down the road from Hebden Bridge, and also where our Gaz - gb155 hails from.

I'm well jealous that you saw ELP - I never got to see ELP:sad:
He did the sticking daggers in his organ thing. (Hammond, that is - not John Thomas! :thumbsup:)

And yes, Land of Grey & Pink, a wonderful album with an equally wonderful cover

Richard Sinclair said:
Bells chime three times, naked dancers enter slowly
Smoky room, scented gloom, audience eating, fat men drinking
Candles burn, a dull red light illuminates the breasts of four young girls
Dancing, prancing, provoking - dreams are always ending far too soon
18 U.S.C. section 2257 compliance statement - all models depicted in this song were over the age of 18 at the time it was written! :whistle:

l.jpg

I'll see your Stacia and raise you Sonia Kristina!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRa5JU7qQcirufuTncLvqaMRvwHkMS6dcXb5Q-dZqrJjmYKZMMJCKQMu-BI.jpg

Curved Air

musical ability: 10
record sales: 6
looks/coolness: 8
longevity: 10 (Still going)
good LP covers: 8
Apprenticeships: Most of Sky, Stuart Copeland and others cut theri teeth with this band... their members are a "who's who"
Silly names: The gloriously named Florian Pilkington-Miska
Pretentious solo: The violin sole on Vivaldi

Attachments

• l.jpg
    l.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 39
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRa5JU7qQcirufuTncLvqaMRvwHkMS6dcXb5Q-dZqrJjmYKZMMJCKQMu-BI.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRa5JU7qQcirufuTncLvqaMRvwHkMS6dcXb5Q-dZqrJjmYKZMMJCKQMu-BI.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 18

ColinJ

I suppose it was more Jazz-rock (Rock-jazz?) but I used to like listening to my older sister's Colosseum album. What was it called ...? Ah, yes - Valentyne Suite!

A wonderfully quirky version of Soft Machine's The Moon in June for a John Peel session at the BBC ...

Top Bottom