Project 1954 Robin Hood raleigh.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CrazyBrit97

CrazyBrit97

Regular
Whats wrong with the one you have now?
Or a way to clean it good would be nice

shadaboot27

Okay here's how to clean it. You will need some brake cleaner / de-greaser a wire brush and an old tooth brush. Remove the chain from the bike, on one of the links there will be a small "U" shaped clip, get a screw driver and pry it off, then remove the small plate under that that holds the links together and the chain will come off the bike. Now you want to put the links back together so the chain is joined again. Now place the chain onto a flat surface and sort of roll it up making sure it's flat against the table. The you want to put the chain in a vice and tighten the vice enough to hold it in place but not too tight that you damage it. Now use your wire brush to clean all the thick grease off. Use an old toothbrush to scrub it with de-greaser too. Once one side is clean flip it over and do the other side. Now you have most of the dirt off dip it in a pot of de-greaser to get all the loose bits out. Then dry it with an old cloth, spray it with some WD-40 and it will be as good as new and ready to put back on the bike and use.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CrazyBrit97

CrazyBrit97

Regular
Okay here's how to clean it. You will need some brake cleaner / de-greaser a wire brush and an old tooth brush. Remove the chain from the bike, on one of the links there will be a small "U" shaped clip, get a screw driver and pry it off, then remove the small plate under that that holds the links together and the chain will come off the bike. Now you want to put the links back together so the chain is joined again. Now place the chain onto a flat surface and sort of roll it up making sure it's flat against the table. The you want to put the chain in a vice and tighten the vice enough to hold it in place but not too tight that you damage it. Now use your wire brush to clean all the thick grease off. Use an old toothbrush to scrub it with de-greaser too. Once one side is clean flip it over and do the other side. Now you have most of the dirt off dip it in a pot of de-greaser to get all the loose bits out. Then dry it with an old cloth, spray it with some WD-40 and it will be as good as new and ready to put back on the bike and use.
Will be trying that now

shadaboot27

In the picture I just posted of the cleaned chain, can you see the U clip I'm talking about? Look for that and pry it off. The way the chain is rolled up like that is also how you should have it when you put it in the vice.

OP
OP
CrazyBrit97

CrazyBrit97

Regular
In the picture I just posted of the cleaned chain, can you see the U clip I'm talking about? Look for that and pry it off. The way the chain is rolled up like that is also how you should have it when you put it in the vice.
Thank you so much I just got it off and cleaning now!! This chain has been in the way for ages aha

OP
OP
CrazyBrit97

CrazyBrit97

Regular
ok, so it all going good so far and the bike is coming along and the frame is in greatish condition as you can see bike 1.jpg but the mudguards are in terrible condition look wise (they still work completely fine) as you can see they are rusted and i have washed all the dirt off mudguard 1.jpg mg 2.jpg mg end.jpg i was just wondering what is the best option here... thank you :smile:

shadaboot27

ok, so it all going good so far and the bike is coming along and the frame is in greatish condition as you can see View attachment 112387 but the mudguards are in terrible condition look wise (they still work completely fine) as you can see they are rusted and i have washed all the dirt off View attachment 112390 View attachment 112388 View attachment 112389 i was just wondering what is the best option here... thank you :smile:

If I were doing it I would wire brush the underside of the mudguards to get all the loose mud, rust and crap off, then go over the other side with some fine wire wool to get the loose rust off, then spray WD-40 all over the whole thing then wipe it off with a cloth. This will make the rust a much darker colour, which will look much better as the bike is black, it will also protect it from rusting any more. The rust on the chrome embalm on the front mudguard will all come off with some wire wool, or a wire brush. And as far as mudguards go they seem to be in good condition, I'd only see them as bad condition if they were all bent with rot holes and dents, these seem okay. if you do as i explained above they should look much better. Also, the thick hard grease on the teeth of the chain wheel will come off nicely with a wire brush. I hope this helps.

Top Bottom